Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RYI2200. There was a leak at the fuel shutoff valve when the engine floods. So, I purchased and installed a new shutoff valve and the fuel lines that connect to the valve. The valve came in pieces but I think I put it together right. While I was there, I took out the main jet and emulsion tube. Both were extremely clean so I just put that back together. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in the needle seat even tough it looked good. I put everything back together and now it’s surging badly. It was running very smoothly before so I can’t figure out what I might have messed up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How many turns out did you set the main jet? If you’re not sure turn it in gently till it seats. Not hard, just be gentle. Then Turn it out one full turn. Try it and see if it’s better. You might need to turn it out another quarter turn, then maybe a little bit more. Let us know how it goes, Dutchy

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
How many turns out did you set the main jet? If you’re not sure turn it in gently till it seats. Not hard, just be gentle. Then Turn it out one full turn. Try it and see if it’s better. You might need to turn it out another quarter turn, then maybe a little bit more. Let us know how it goes, Dutchy
idle jet dutchy start at 2 turns out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I got the main jet in there pretty snug. I’ll tighten a bit more and see if I might be mistaken. I can’t imagine I would have done this, but if I put the emulsion tube in backward, would it cause this problem?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
the emulsion tube should only fit one way.

the idle air jet should be on top of the carb.

snap a pix of the top of the carb for us.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
take a look at this video set
99% of the time on the little inverter gens this pilot jet is the issue!
this guy is pretty good on video series on repair

and this one on basic carb service

·
Registered
294 Posts
Surging is going to be a carb/fuel problem. How fresh is the fuel in the tank? You also need to make sure the other jets are clear. I'd give the entire carb a good cleaning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuel is fresh and has a stabilizer in it. The odd thing is that it was running very well yesterday before I replaced the fuel valve, fuel lines, and took apart the carb. So I really think I might have put something back together wrong. I’ll check that idle jet just to be sure that’s not the issue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The fuel is fresh and has a stabilizer in it. The odd thing is that it was running very well yesterday before I replaced the fuel valve, fuel lines, and took apart the carb. So I really think I might have put something back together wrong. I’ll check that idle jet just to be sure that’s not the issue.
If you reassembled the carb incorrectly, I'd imagine that could cause some major issues. I don't know how you could install the emulsion tube backwards, but perhaps it's possible. Something like that would possibly create a lean mixture that would cause the engine to surge.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Another potential issue could be a poor seal between the engine and carb. How did the gasket look. You can check for a vacuum leak by spraying a bit of carb cleaner around the area and seeing if the engine smooths out Temporarily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before reading the post, I pulled of the carb to see if I had put it together correctly. I saw that I had put the gasket that goes between the carb and air intake on top of the gasket between engine and carb. Once I put it back together correclly, most of the issue was resolved. It’s still a little bumpy but nothing like it was. I’m a little disappointed it’s not as smooth as it was before but it’s better and probably good enough.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
you can always order another carb gasket kit
they are cheap.
i keep 6 on hand for each gen set.
0.75 each in bulk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gaskets looked pretty good but i’m not sure what else might be causing it to still be running a little rough after I worked on it. Maybe I should just order a new kit and see if it makes a difference. It was running really smoothly before, so im stumped what has changed.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
any chance of trash in the new fuel valve?
or the inside of the fuel lines?
that trash could cause exactly what is going on.
did you clean the idle air bleed pilot jet yet?
that is what is shown in those videos.
99% of the time that is where the surge is from..

does it still surge real bad when the eco mode is off?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
oh yea what is the cost of a new ryobi carb?
the hondas are $60-140.00 depending where you buy them from.
always an option!
and then you could have a spare!
i always keep a spare carb for the little gens on hand!
worth the price!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm surprised. I cranked it up this morning and it was running really well. About 90-95 percent as well as it was running before I worked on it. If you listen very closely, you can hear an occasional bump. It's a faint bump, but if you are paying attention, you will hear it. Someone who was just standing by the machine would not notice it. So, I put it under a load and it worked just fine. I'm tempted to call it good enough and move on to the next thing. Would there be any concern that mild bump I'm hearing might cause a problem if I just ignore it? Would there for example be a concern it would cause the engine to run hot? I don't know why, but I've always been afraid of a generator catching fire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I take it back…it’s running a little rougher again. I think I’ll change the gaskets and check the idle jet and see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts