Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need 80 amps at 120 V and wanted to rent a MQ-Power DCA10SPX 10kw Generator. In the manual below at page 22 it says it is able to provide 40 x 2 amps at 100V, however at page 16 is says the main circuit breaker is 45 amps. I don't understand how it can provide 2 x 40 amps if the circuit breaker is 45 amps. And it wouldn't make sense that a 10 kw generator provides only 45 amps, considering 10 kw / 120 V is 80 Amps.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The circuit breaker is likely 45A x2 as well - half of the breaker on each leg? That would give you up to 90A peak @120V split on two different devices. Remember that the two legs are 180 degrees out of phase; combined they make 240V. If you need 80A @120V on a single device, you'll need a much bigger 240V generator: 80 Amp Generators

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The circuit breaker is likely 45A x2 as well - half of the breaker on each leg? That would give you up to 90A peak @120V split on two different devices. Remember that the two legs are 180 degrees out of phase; combined they make 240V. If you need 80A @120V on a single device, you'll need a much bigger 240V generator.
The manual says a 3 pole breaker, after reading more thoroughly on what a 3-pole breaker is, it seems like a 3-pole 45 amp breaker is 45 amp average per pole. I need 80 amps peak spread out on 15 amps circuits. I guess the generator would be sufficient then. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just checked the manual you linked... The cover says 60Hz, but page 4 says that's a 50Hz 100/200V unit. Not what you want if you're in Canada.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
so our question is .
this gen set is it for a existing grid panel?
if so snap a pix of the breaker layout.
are you planning your system for primary power or for backup?

exactly what are you powering? restive load , lights or motors?
and exact amps at the 125 vac that you need?
this has to be real numbers so we can look at the generator duty cycle.

if you are needing a real 80 amps at 125 vac then you need a gen set that will produce 2x that power so the gen set will run cool. I see that as 20 kw at 125 vac

take a look at the page below
click here for the generator connection page with meter setup
if you are doing a breaker panel with L1 and L2 then it is important to have your load split right for an even load.

so most gen sets that are larger than 3kw are single phase as L1 and L2 for the 125 vac.
the exception is the honda eu7000is that can be ran in the 125 vac mode as rated (5kw) with proper modifications.
click here for the 50 amp modification for the honda eu7000is

for the current you are looking at of 80 amps @ 125 vac if they are smaller loads
then you can load split that on a 250 vac gen set that has L1 and L2 at 40 amps per leg.

cat and other real good generator mfg's make large trailer units.
and most good industrial rental places have these for rent.
diesel runs the cheapest as far as gallons of fuel per hour.
but you need warmer climates like Texas and Arizona for it to run well year round. diesel likes heat!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but you need warmer climates like Texas and Arizona for it to run well year round. diesel likes heat!
This is an audio and lightning system and this will be our primary power panel. System to power has 5 x standard NEMA 5-15P 15 amps circuits. Rental company is providing us a distributiong grid so we can put 3 of these connectors on the 45 amp CS twist lock connector. 80 amps is peak, about 50 amp continuous. Good to know I need a generator that produces twice the continuous power. I will rent a 20 kw instead.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
there you go!
yea it is good to have more than you need.
that leaves you room in case of more added later equipment.
or on case the numbers are a bit more on the equipment.
is this for a concert?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You might be better served with a couple of paralleled Honda EU7000is (quiet!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts