1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Generac 16k,
Generator model 005243
Serial 2544728
It stopped running so replaced the battery which was 3 yea old. About 2 weeks later I noticed it wasn’t running again, so I figured it might be the battery charger. I had a generator repair company come out and they verified I was correct. The tech also recommended that I replace the voltage regulator which he said sometime can go bad after replacing the charger. Is that a common problem and is he correct recommending both parts at the same time?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
is it under warranty?
if not just use an after market charger on the unit.
pm me if you need help on the wiring .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. No it is not under warranty. The unit is about 15 years old. Would you recommend to replace the voltage regulator at the same time as the charger.?I was told that the voltage regulator can go bad after replacing the battery charger.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
snap some pix of the boards and relays
as well as the inside of the control box and ats box.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the model and serial number is not valid in their system.
snap a pix of the tag with the model and serial numbers on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the model and serial number is not valid in their system.
snap a pix of the tag with the model and serial numbers on them.
The model is 005243. I have the owners manual and it’s on the front page. It’s an enclosed system and the battery charger is inside so I don’t want to get a solar unit. My main ? Is do I need to change to the voltage regulator at the same time as the charger?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Presumably, when the mechanic replaced your battery charger, heshe tested the charging voltage to determine whether the charging voltage was proper or not. If not, then heshe presumably would have automatically sold you a new regulator, since leaving a bad one in place would be malpractice.

It may be that the mechanic has some experience with that type of unit that tells himher that such units have a history of such problems. If that is the case, then it depends on you to decide whether preventative replacement is worth the money.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply. The tech did not replace the battery charger yet. He said I need one and generally it was a good Idea to get a voltage regulator at the same time. The battery was just replaced and ran the generator for about 2 weeks, until I guess the charger failed. I just wasn’t sure the voltage reg. was needed also?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am with Paul, the serial number nor the model number shows up on Generac's search site.
Try to fine it yourself here:
Plus you might go here and ask them:
The model & serial # is correct. I have the owners manual for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well if the mechanic thinks it’s a good idea to replace the voltage regulator, why didn’t you ask him why he thinks that’s a good idea? You can still ask him, and then fill us in on his reasons why he thinks it’s a good idea...LOL. Dutchy

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The model is 005243. I have the owners manual and it’s on the front page. It’s an enclosed system and the battery charger is inside so I don’t want to get a solar unit. My main ? Is do I need to change to the voltage regulator at the same time as the charger?
solar brand not solar charger

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Well if the mechanic thinks it’s a good idea to replace the voltage regulator, why didn’t you ask him why he thinks that’s a good idea? You can still ask him, and then fill us in on his reasons why he thinks it’s a good idea...LOL. Dutchy
i suspect updates...
and that wear and tear thing on the old components.
we have had good luck with ditching the out dated chargers on the stand by gen sets...
and using the modern de sulfate chargers to make the battery life closer to 6-10 years.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Item 2 in the parts list is the battery charging unit. It’s not your average looking battery maintainer. Is the ”voltage regulator”infact the charger and there is some kind of miscommunication… maybe the guy just gave you a poor explanation.

Item 2 in the parts list is what I need for my generator and item 3 is the voltage regulator that I was told I should get because sometimes the volt reg can go bad after the charger is installed.
Thanks for your response

1 - 19 of 19 Posts