Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honeywell Generator. 7500 watt. Model # 0060391. It is 5 yrs. old. Run about 50 hrs. My question is, can I run my air/furnace [outdoor unit] with this generator. Thank You

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Depends. What size A/C unit do you have? (btu / tonnage) Post a pic of the label on the unit if you aren't sure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have a Honeywell Generator. 7500 watt. Model # 0060391. It is 5 yrs. old. Run about 50 hrs. My question is, can I run my air/furnace [outdoor unit] with this generator. Thank You
and you will want a micro air soft start for the ac unit see the link below
link for the page with the micro air soft start 1/2 way down the page
those units really work!!
and they help when you are on grid power as well.
and the link for the honey well gen site is below

click here for the honey well generator site

·
Registered
219 Posts
@ Iowagold: I am courious why you reccommend the expensive Micro Air soft when a $15 added soft atart capacitor will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
the 15 buck unit is not a soft start, but a hard start.
sure a hard start will lover the inrush from a horrible 90+ amps of inrush to maybe a 23 to 24 amps...
but a soft start will go lower yet to 15 amps!

it is high tech.
the so the soft start does run real money ...
but it is easier on the generator as well as the utility power.
and is good on the compressor as well.

the ultimate solution is an inverter air con compressor.
like found in the mini split units..
some of the big companies now have those now for central air!
they still cost money up front...
but the cost per month on utility power is lower on an inverter air con system !

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Hardstarts help but arent super effective.. The addition of the hardstart improves starting torque by manipulating the phase angle of the start winding to be at a greater offset. It doesn't really compare to a softstart though.

Mine and my brother in laws AC units had the same max inrush of 130amps. The very nice 5-2-1 hardstart kits reduced that number to 120amps. Not extremely impressive. It did eliminate our dimming lights (LED) when the compressor kicked on but its definitely not good enough for starting such a large inductive load on generator power.

I just installed a microair 368 on my 3.5 ton A/C and my inrush dropped to 50amps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Are these AC units scroll compressors?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts