Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a generator and build a enclosure leading out of my basement door to run it in the winter time if need be. Due to exhaust issues I was thinking of running a flex pipe from the exhaust even farther out. My question is 20 feet to long, would it flow out alright?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personally I would not place it in a basement to run even with an extended exhaust. I would think it better to build an enclosure outside to ensure plenty of fresh air circulation around it, be sure to have inlet and outlet vents, outlet preferably with an electric fan to draw heat out, Extending exhaust further out is not a bad idea, just don't ever run a generator in an enclosed area that connects to the living area or anywhere close to what might be an open window or door. During one of the earlier hurricaines I think some folks died from carbon monoxide from a generator running next to an open window down in Lake Charles, La.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You want it away from the house, think about prevailing winds and summer use when windows are open as mentioned. I'm very suspicious of extending exhaust, you'll probably end up "cobbling" something with parts from local hardware, auto parts, etc. stores none of which were really designed for exhaust extension. Just a small leak from a leaky connection, small crack in manifold (from supporting weight it wasn't designed for) and you have carbon monoxide where you don't want it. Also consider vibration, your generator vibrates a lot, you'll have to come up with a flexible manifold connection to tie the generator to a presumably solidly supported exhaust extension. Too many "what if's" for potential extremely dangerous situation. Build a proper enclosure with vents, fan if you're so inclined. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
yup build a separate shed for the gen set.
those are cool to shoot the exhaust up in the air.
and helps on the exhaust noise as well.

and if you use any hose off the exhaust use high temp red silicone hose to take the temps as well as the vibration for the first 1-2 feet right off the gen exhaust.
it will help to isolate vibration issues as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...and if you use any hose off the exhaust use high temp red silicone hose to take the temps as well as the vibration for the first 1-2 feet right off the gen exhaust.

it will help to isolate vibration issues as well.
I saw such a hose being used on youtube for extension out of a shed and went looking for a supplier without success. My search found nothing like that used in the video, and the description does not make mention of where it came from. tinyurl.com/yyxtvv35

Does anyone have a link to where one can buy silicone exhaust hose for a generator? GenExhaust sells kits on Amazon but have no need for them, just want the hose.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
what inside dia and how long do you need?

most of the time i try to keep the hose short under 2 foot..
then use electrical emt conduit for the exhaust pipe.
and exhaust header paint it red inside the shed to mark it as hot..
and use the silicone wood stove boot for the side or the roof exit...
or just use stainless triple wall wood stove vent system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts