Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photograph Pink Red Gas Building material Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Wood Machine Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Fire alarm system Font
Hi all
I'm new to the forum. I recently got a bargain generator; It has a briggs I/C 8Hp engine. I'm not sure what the generator head model is.
(see the pics - anybody know) Assuming 90 - 95% efficiency and given that 8hp = 6KW, maybe 4.5KW output ??
Our mains supply here is 220V. The output does give about 220 under load. (I tried a 550W drill and a 2Kw heat gun both together and separately)
The interesting thing is that with no load, I measure a bit over 500vac, this then drops to 220 when loaded.
Even if I plug in a small battery charger without connecting the output, the generator output voltage shows about 217 Vac
I plugged in a mains powered led lamp which works fine.
Is it possible that the unloaded voltage is a 'floating level' which is in fact not likely to supply any significant current?
I assume that the unloaded output is due to the AVR not regulating under no-load conditions.
I tried with another voltmeter, it reads the same - I thought perhaps, I'm getting EMI or spikes which is causing unstable readings.
I had installed one those digital ac voltmeter displays (see the pic). This reads also reads an unstable over-voltage with no load, but shows 217 vac or so as soon as I load.
If I power up the heat gun as well, the voltage goes up slightly to 220V, so I guess the regulator is doing it's thing.
Further questions:
What are the diodes for? Does this give a rectified voltage to drive the avr?
Is the AVR that module with the 4 terminals?
PS - my background is light-current electronics, so I know what I don't know :)
thanks and regards
Russell

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
well you could preload the generator with an 100 watt light and see what the voltage is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 60W bulb, so I used that. The meter reads 210V and the lamp lights ok. A bit unsteady even when the RPM sounds as though it 's settled.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
well that sounds like a plan!
use a 100 watt light to pre load the generator!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's a dangerous way though. I had a closer look and traced the schematic. (see attached). The large square component with 4 terminals is a bridge rectifier; SKB 30/06A1 (And it's blown - see the picture. Anyone seen a schematic like this one? How does it regulate?
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

1 - 7 of 7 Posts