Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is a vid of my gen, but mines the 6500W-E(2800watt) version, and it seems to be quite decent considering its less that £300 and Its prob ideal for occasional use. I have had mine for just under 3years and its only had exercise use so far..lol

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Indeed. Looks like a job for the TI scientific calculator!
yup on the ti 30 calc!

or just pay for the fluke power quality meter to display the number!
and snap shot the display with a smart phone so you can print off the results....
for me as a pro user i prefer to just have the readout for fast numbers as time is money when you are working on gear for clients.

retired hobby stuff.....
yea get out the old text books and get in to the math.
2 to 4 hours later you will get the number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a generator novice, and now interested in a portable generator. I already have an external natural gas hook-up, so I was looking into some of the tri-fuel models- specifically the FIRMAN T08071 and Champion 100416. Both of these machines seem to have very high THD ratings, however (11-14% on the Firman, < 20% on the Champion). Does anyone have experience using generators with THD ratings this high? Any concern for damage to home equipment/electronics? I read that high efficiency boiler circuits (which I have) can be particularly susceptible? It seems like the only alternatives would be 1) a tri-fuel that's 3-4x the price or 2) a generator without the natural gas option ....... thoughts?

Thank you!
I would get a Honda EU7000is, is only gasoline powered, but is far more efficient than any trifuel. Very reliable, I own two.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yup on the ti 30 calc!

or just pay for the fluke power quality meter to display the number!
and snap shot the display with a smart phone so you can print off the results....
for me as a pro user i prefer to just have the readout for fast numbers as time is money when you are working on gear for clients.

retired hobby stuff.....
yea get out the old text books and get in to the math.
2 to 4 hours later you will get the number.
I still have my Ti-34 from college. The Ti-30 is old school for sure.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
i still have the slide rule!
that is old school!
lol!
yup on the eu7000i gen set.
and us carb makes a dandy tri fuel kit that works well to make the eu7000i gen set a monster for sure!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've done a ton of searches ( as this is quote the interesting topic) and cant find any references to regulations on what the max allowable THD is on a portable power supply and as a generator is not the mains supply, doubtful the NEC would have a stipulation,
Does the NEC even have a stipulation for mains power? As a baseline, has anyone tried to document what THD they actually get from their utility? Is this something that is routinely monitored by a regulator? Are they required to deliver a maximum THD? After doing a lot of digging, I saw that my furnace manufacturer says the THD provided should be 3% or less and its (long) list of possible fault codes includes some related to sub-par power. That's what finally pushed me over the edge to get an inverter gen. It would be great if you could buy a simple, inexpensive gizmo to monitor power and shut it off or beep if the power is sub-par. (Are such gizmos actually in inverter gens)?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Does the NEC even have a stipulation for mains power? As a baseline, has anyone tried to document what THD they actually get from their utility? Is this something that is routinely monitored by a regulator? Are they required to deliver a maximum THD? After doing a lot of digging, I saw that my furnace manufacturer says the THD provided should be 3% or less and its (long) list of possible fault codes includes some related to sub-par power. That's what finally pushed me over the edge to get an inverter gen. It would be great if you could buy a simple, inexpensive gizmo to monitor power and shut it off or beep if the power is sub-par. (Are such gizmos actually in inverter gens)?
most of the power generation of the grid power rules etc. are done by the state boards.
and weights and measures etc.
they have a board here in Iowa just for utility's. and they deal with the weights and measures on all of our utilities.
and if you as a customer have an issue with a utility you can report that issue to the utility's board.
pretty cool!

see your state .gov and search for the utility's board for your state.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts