Power Equipment Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of connecting my portable 12kw generator outside to my natural gas using ss braid covered washing machine hose. Why shouldn't I?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Probably because it wouldn’t be code perhaps? And in the event of a fire and the Insurance co sees the hookup…you’d be denied compensation? Good reasons to do it by the book! My 2cents 😉

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I'm thinking of connecting my portable 12kw generator outside to my natural gas using ss braid covered washing machine hose. Why shouldn't I?
lol. For starters, It’s not rated for gaseous fuels. It does not have the appropriate end to make a safe tamper resistant connection. Its 100% against plumbing code. And last but not least the Internal diameter on that kind of hose is to small to provide adequate volume.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you want to be reckless, I would say "knock yourself out" but in this case you can just "blow yourself up" instead.

All joking aside...don't do this. Humans are supposed to be an intelligent species.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It will work.... heck, I'll probably do it in a pinch. But it's just better and safer to use gear that's code-compliant for NG.

·
Registered
455 Posts
People do unsafe things and this is the most dangerous one that I have heard presented on this forum.
Good grief! Taking a chance to cause an explosion? Do not do it! Proper equipment is not that expensive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Now now... I think you guys have made it crystal clear it's a bad idea.

FWIW, I think the SS braided hoses themselves are fine (correct me if I'm wrong). NG on appliance-level pressure is a fraction of what these hoses are usually rated for. It's the hose fittings/connections that's going to be an issue if you push a washer hose into NG service.

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
BECAUSE YOU COULD ASPHYXIATE YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR FAMILY, OR PERHAPS YOU COULD BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN, AND NO INSURANCE COMPANY WILL PAY OFF FOR SUCH A STUPID ACT.

Warning given. Thread closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.