Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a generator with a 6kwatt output but the 6 kwatt are split between 3 x 2kwatt outlets, can they be joined together to give the full 6 kwatt from 1 outlet?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks like a clone of a couple other brands that are all likely made in China (Royal Kraft, Powertech, Swiss Kraft, Huttenberg, etc.). In one teardown video, the three receptacles appears to be wired in parallel internally, so, technically, you can combine all three outlets.

However, allow me to address the elephant in the room.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's a real 6kW generator. I mean, the small size of it doesn't add up. My 5kW 220V generator is around twice as big as that one.

In another video, I see it struggle with 3kW and the engine was borderline stalling when the guy turned on three 2kW heaters.

I'd say it's just a 3kW generator.... 3.5kW max, if I'm being generous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a clone of a couple other brands that are all likely made in China (Royal Kraft, Powertech, Swiss Kraft, Huttenberg, etc.). In one teardown video, the three receptacles appears to be wired in parallel internally, so, technically, you can combine all three outlets.

However, allow me to address the elephant in the room.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's a real 6kW generator. I mean, the small size of it doesn't add up. My 5kW 220V generator is around twice as big as that one.

In another video, I see it struggle with 3kW and the engine was borderline stalling when the guy turned on three 2kW heaters.

I'd say it's just a 3kW generator.... 3.5kW max, if I'm being generous.
Thanks for your reply. I realise that this an understated generator. I have seen the video you refer to, of the three fans at 2000 watts each. I just want to couple this to an emergency house supply for essentials, do you think I can still join the 3 outlets to give me the maximum power from generator? Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
One post that I found said that this was a three phase generator. Do you have a wiring diagram in your manual?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I realise that this an understated generator. I have seen the video you refer to, of the three fans at 2000 watts each. I just want to couple this to an emergency house supply for essentials, do you think I can still join the 3 outlets to give me the maximum power from generator? Thanks
One post that I found said that this was a three phase generator. Do you have a wiring diagram in your manual?
Yes, we need that schematic diagram. I believe the 380V outlet on the right is the proper 3-phase output. The problem is, we don't know for certain how each individual 220V outputs are wired. In this video (4:30), all three 220V outlets appears ti be connected in parallel and derived from the 3-phase output. Then again, there could be variations of the wiring that comes from different models. Some thorough testing needs to be done before the OP can start shunting outputs together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, we need that schematic diagram. I believe the 380V outlet on the right is the proper 3-phase output. The problem is, we don't know for certain how each individual 220V outputs are wired. In this video (4:30), all three 220V outlets appears ti be connected in parallel and derived from the 3-phase output. Then again, there could be variations of the wiring that comes from different models. Some thorough testing needs to be done before the OP can start shunting outputs together.
JTT hi thanks for your reply but unfortunately there is no wire diagram only a small hand book to

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thanks for reply but there’s no wire diagram only a small hand book

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is the amp rating of the breaker?

If the generator is rated for just around 2000 "real" Watts (<10A @ 220V), there's really no need to link up the three receptacles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi only need to link up two to try and get 4000 watts when I get home I’ll check breaker size at the moment I plug one into house supply and get 2000 watts if I can’t join two together I could just plug an extension lead in one of other outlets cheers jtt

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi only need to link up two to try and get 4000 watts when I get home I’ll check breaker size at the moment I plug one into house supply and get 2000 watts if I can’t join two together I could just plug an extension lead in one of other outlets cheers jtt
That's going to be impossible. The gen only has a 6.5HP engine. It cannot produce that much wattage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
GenKnot is correct. You won't get 4kW out of the generator. Even 3kW is a stretch. So for all intents and purposes, you're only going to reliably get 2000W from it, total.

FWIW, I have doubts as to the quality of that generator based on how blatantly they overrated it. That extends to the breaker and whatever "safety features" being employed. As such, if you force it beyond 2kW, I'm afraid there's a very high likelihood you're going to burn the stator windings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GenKnot is correct. You won't get 4kW out of the generator. Even 3kW is a stretch. So for all intents and purposes, you're only going to reliably get 2000W from it, total.

FWIW, I have doubts as to the quality of that generator based on how blatantly they overrated it. That extends to the breaker and whatever "safety features" being employed. As such, if you force it beyond 2kW, I'm afraid there's a very high likelihood you're going to burn the stator windings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts