Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it took me a number of pulls to get my generator running, about 10 pulls. I didn’t put in a lot of fuel because I was just running it to make sure it would be good if we have an problems with tropical storm. Because there wasn’t much fuel it didn’t crank easy. Anyway, i finally got it going and gas was dripping from 2 of the lines which attach to the servo. I think that’s what it called. Anyway, I had the exact thing happen once in the past when I made too many start attempts. I’m including a picture which shows the 2 lines where fuel was leaking where the lines attach to the servo. I waited for it to cool and cranked it up and ran it an hour with no problem. So I’m pretty sure the problem only occurs when initially pulling too many times. Obviously I’m not going to pull that much in the future. Is this a safety concern as long as I don’t pull too many times?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
That’s a fuel shut off valve. I’m not sure if it’s in the line before or after the fuel pump, but it shouldn’t leak under and condition. Regardless of how many times you pull the engine over. I’d look into replacing it.

Also, you do NOT want to leak the fuel tank partially filled. It should be completely full or completely empty. A partially filled tank is an invitation for fuel problems. It allows condensation to form in the tank contaminates fuel and causes corrosion in the carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That shutoff is before the fuel pump. It is part of the servo that is connected to the carb with a Phillips head screw. I tried to remove that screw once so I could replace the carb. That screw was stuck solid. I gave it my best effort with a Phillips head and a flathead, PB, a tap and dye and that darn thing won’t budge. Taking it to a shop would probably cost the value of the generator but that might be what I’ll have to do.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
they might have red thread locker on it.
yea remove it from the gen set first.
then dry it out real good and you will have to use heat to warm the thread locker to get the screw out.
also a solder iron works well for heat after it does not have any gasoline in the fuel system.
a BIG note:
use an air compressor to blow out the fuel from the fuel system to get totally dry and vapor free.

yea fuel valves are a known issue.
replace them or the whole carb assy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts