Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’d rather you don’t hardwire it either. Definitely can’t blame that electrician for airing on the side of caution. Lots of knuckleheads out there.

I know you are eager to implement a setup that capitalizes on more of the generators capacity. But maybe it’s prudent to stick with the 50 amp connection and observe how things work out while planning for a more complete system.
Those are my plans. Test first. I was never eager to get max watts out of generator. Never seemed logical to plan to run a portable generator full out. My plan to use two line for 15kW out of an 18kW running generator seems like ample power. I'm running propane. U.S carbs claims no power loss with their kits vs gasoline?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's a link. I just got done checking this info to verify is my gen can handle the AC.

Good link. A 50 amp connection on these generators with the push button thermal breakers runs at 200% load for 60 seconds, 100 amps. That's long enough to start one of my ACs, my 4 ton.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
hey dogger
do you have a meter setup yet for the gens?
they are a great idea to have inside by the main panel.
pm if you need details and build pix.
they are easy to setup.
if you have basic metal machine shop skills.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What's your budget? You can make almost anything work with deep pockets. Generator by the utility entrance along with the transfer switch. Run the entire house on a generator.
Yeah it's a bit expensive which is why I was reluctant. Transfer switch, $600, 50amp inlet box,$80 and labor quoted for install $800. That's for a manual switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it all depends on the budget. $800 for install is too much...
I think that you can find someone to connect your HVAC system for less money and less time. When I needed air conditioner installation in my house, I called the professionals because I didn't want to do a bad job myself. They didn't take long, and I paid nowhere near $800.
If you look online for cheaper options, I'm sure you'll find something. I wanted to save money too, and that's why I've spent a lot of time looking. You also need to make sure that the people you hire will do a good job because you don't want to do it again.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
these days $120 per hour is the new norm for a good electrical guy.
all that insurance and cost of tools etc.
you get a couple of guys on a site the 800 happens fast!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts