Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter lives in Chicago in a downtown high rise, they'd planned on buying a "country home" in Michigan where her husband is from as they got closer to retirement. Then came CoVID and suddenly he and all the staff were working "remote," so decided to have the house built on land they owned and moved there. Part of the package was they got a "deal" on a whole house Generac through the Electrical Contractor doing the work. I think it was $10,000 installed as the house went up. They had their first outage, Generac started and worked fine until it shut down an hour and a half later. Called Generac and was told it would be a couple of weeks until a tech could get out in the country to them. Her husband is a partner in the law firm he works out and brough some "clout" to bear and a tech was suddenly on the phone to talk them through the situation until a tech could get there. So, every hour and a half they had to lie to the machine and increase the weekly exercise to the max which was an hour and a half. A tech arrived the next day, changed something and it's working now as it should. So, new machine, installed since Covid arrived and didn't work first outage it experienced. Weekly exercise was fine. I didn't see what they were doing until I happened to notice the Generac in some outside pics they sent during construction.

Not throwing rocks at Generac, just relaying their experience.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Perhaps a lesson for all of us is to not rely on the "weekly exercise test", and run on the new system for a whole day or thereabouts.

Also good to have a law firm in your family tree!
My two neighbors installed Generacs within the past 2 years and I know their weekly run schedules well since you can't ignore the 5 minutes of noise. Both have had issues with their units, though I'm not sure on the details. If I ever get a whole house unit, it will be a water cooled, 1800 RPM Cummins.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've recently heard some negative things about the Generac Guardian line of generators. I don't know much about them other than they seem to be having QC issues with the product line. If I were in the market for a small standby unit, I'd go with Kohler. I have friends who have one and it's been through some pretty long outages with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a Generac air cooled NG standby unit that I bought used from my employer at the tie on our home for over 21 years. It is a no frills unit. When power goes out it cranks, transfers power need to the generator then transfers back and shuts down when power returns. The only issues Ive had are replacing the battery, a starter gear, a voltage regulator and DPE breaker. Thats over the course of 21 years.

I have no issues with Generac equipment but if I ever do another standby unit It probably will be another manufacture. The issue I do have is Generac support structure. Generac Inc. absolutely will not help the end user. Also, they will not help a generator tech isnt certified by generac!

We're blessed to have forums such as this and others where knowledge of the experts that have installed and maintained the various units out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2008 ,16kw generac whole house with close to 600 hours on it, normal services with 2 minor issues, the battery /maintenance charger burnt out and a oil pressure switch went bad shutting down the motor,
my longest run time was 6 days with only short shutdowns to check the oil level.

of note this web site run by a generac distributor was and is of great help in maintaining it Ziller Forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wasnt aware this site was run by Ziller.

78Buckshot, Peddler, Geoff Z, grsthegreat, wireform and cobranaut from the Ziller site helped me with an intermittent I had last year and part of this year help me get if figured out. My hat is off to them all ! !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts