Power Equipment Forum banner

Generac GP15000E 10 Amp Fuse Blows

21K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  akgiddings 
#1 ·
Good Evening All,
I have a Generac GP15000E gas generator. I can get it started, it will run for 45+- seconds before shutting down because the 10 amp fuse pops.. No load, Nothing connected. I even removed the trickle charger to make sure that wasn't causing abnormal current draw.
I was looking at the wiring diagram and the fuse wiring goes to the a rectifier of some sort and the electronic governor. What I cannot find is information about what I should see for voltages at different points in the fuse circuit.
Has anyone had similar problems? Or have a troubleshooting manual?

Thanks,
Ron

#3 ·
Good Evening,
I downloaded the wiring diagram from Generac. It appears that the electronic governor control module is acting up. I called Generac and asked for a troubleshooting guide. No go, they told me I needed to take it in for service. Since I have had the generator less than two years it may be covered under warranty.

I also spoke to the service facility where I dropped the gen set off at. They had one come in this month with a problem with the module. Not sure if this is a common item failure on these or not.

Regards,

#9 ·
Out of shear desperation I put a 25 amp fuse instead and it ran through the rest of the day, about 4 hours. Calling in to Generac with a massive power outage in the area helped identify what the issue may be, the 10 amp fuse. But no help with what blew the fuse. It's not a short circuit but an excessive load in that circuit.

#10 ·
You do occasionally find this - obviously replacing the fuse with a bigger one carries some risk, so just take some precautions and make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby... but hopefully you wont have any issues now

#11 ·
DId anyone ever figure out the problem
We have a GP15000E and it has done the same thing. Unit will run for about 2 minutes and then dies. Blows the 10 amp fuse. I had someone tell us it sounded like the rectifier getting hot and then blowing the fuse.

If this is something I can fix that would be great. You are correct GERERAC is ZERO HELP!!!!!
Does anyone have any ideas????

#12 · (Edited)
Reactions: ToolLover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.