Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am looking for help with a problem I have.
Last year I connected a mini-refrigerator to my gas generator (inverter). Spec. 0.85 KVA / 1.05 KVA.
I have been running circular saws and angle grinding machines on that generator that demands much more power.
My compressor in the refrigerator was destroyed.
Spec on the refrigerator, see PDF.
I bought a new refrigerator, the same model because I need one in my van.
I also have one little bigger generator, marked 1,7 KVA / 1.0 KVA. But I do hesitate to connect it before I know what happened.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the group
first things first
what voltage and HZ are you operating at?

and what is the exact make and model on the generators.?
230V at 50Hz.
The smaller one is renamed by some importer to STRONG.
The other one, that I did not test with yet, is Timco Inverter Generator 1000i

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Välkommen från Åland. Jag tittade på videon och läste bruksanvisningen. Du borde vara okej. Anslut aldrig kylskåpet förrän generatorn har värmts upp

Jag funderar på att lägga in en Single-phase 220V soft start module. En SSR med justering för startspänning och ramptid. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
My eu1000 runs a circular saw but its working very hard to start it and is nearly maxed out during a long cut. It will power my fridges easier then my circ saw.

You should monitor operating voltage when the fridge turns on. Maybe as a start do the same with the circular saw and make sure your voltage isn’t sagging. The saw is far less susceptible to damage from voltage dips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Den kostar ca 40 USD, men det kan det vara värt.
My eu1000 runs a circular saw but its working very hard to start it and is nearly maxed out during a long cut. It will power my fridges easier then my circ saw.

You should monitor operating voltage when the fridge turns on. Maybe as a start do the same with the circular saw and make sure your voltage isn’t sagging. The saw is far less susceptible to damage from voltage dips.
Yes, I will try to do that. There is also a very different kind of motor in the circular saw that probably have a much shorter time of inrush current.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fridges and freezers will give small generators and inverters fits. I have a small chest freezer that I use for bringing home elk and deer during hunting season. The initial startup wattage is way high (off scale on my "Kilowatt" meter) but once it starts it only draws about 45 watts continuously. I'm having to use a 2000/4000 watt inverter to handle the startup load when I'm on the road. Kind of a waste but that's what it takes. Try a larger generator or perhaps more modern fridges may work better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It appears to me, at least, that inverter-type appliances aren't quite as popular in NA than it is in Asia. Is this an accurate assessment?

Anyway, if you're in the market for refs, freezers, A/Cs, washing machines, etc., you should consider getting their inverter variants if applicable, just for these two relevant reasons:

1. They don't require a high starting current. If it's rated for X watts or Y amps, that's the maximum it will pull, no more. Your generator will love them.
2. When used properly, they're lighter on the electricity bill

The upfront cost is higher but I think it will eventually even out and start saving you money in the long run.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Fridges and freezers will give small generators and inverters fits. I have a small chest freezer that I use for bringing home elk and deer during hunting season. The initial startup wattage is way high (off scale on my "Kilowatt" meter) but once it starts it only draws about 45 watts continuously. I'm having to use a 2000/4000 watt inverter to handle the startup load when I'm on the road. Kind of a waste but that's what it takes. Try a larger generator or perhaps more modern fridges may work better.
yea change out any older fridge freezers to late model for sure!
inrush on the new units are lower than 7 amps.
run on mine are 1 amp and 0.9 amps at 120 vac.

take your killawatt meter with you when you go shopping!
and take notes on makes and model numbers.

and side by side units tend to draw way more.
and larger chest works well. mine is a mid large unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I did try the fridge (60W) with my TIMCO 2000i. It did work well when the generator was set to full speed but when I used autothrottle it did not. Motor protection tripped in the fridge. I connected it to main and after a minute or two it started again. And yes I am sure it was not the thermostat :)
Now I think I can use it! BTW the start unit in the fridge is done using a PTC thermistor.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
My eu2200 or eu2000 can start any of my fridges ranging from 30 to 10 years old with eco on without issue. Sure new fridges have lower power demands which is great but some of the blame needs to fall on generators that underperform in relation to their rating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My eu2200 or eu2000 can start any of my fridges ranging from 30 to 10 years old with eco on without issue. Sure new fridges have lower power demands which is great but some of the blame needs to fall on generators that underperform in relation to their rating.
There is many different ways to run a single-phase motor. My fridge has a start circuit that uses PTC (thermistor) in parallel with the capacitor. The compressor protection unit is very sensible and fast-acting.
When I measured power consumption after the start it was only 30W.
Would be interesting to do a test it with a eu2000. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try to solve my problem with a time relay and a relay for activating eco mode in serial with the thermostat.
Like this, when the thermostat asks the compressor to start, it will first turn off eco mode and after a delay let the compressor in the fridge start after a further delay switching echo mode back on.
Simple. :)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
there ya go!
not a bad idea!
anticipation has always been a secret weapon on gen ramp up.

and if you set the idle speed up a bit on the eu2000i gen set
the recovery is way way better when a load hits.
i like 200 rpm over the no load eco on.
that works the best for inrush as it does not let the throttle angle dip below a known good angle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts