Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased the Firman Tri fuel hybrid T07571 power generator at Costco Online. It runs OK using gasoline. But does not run on propane. We purchase two new AmeriGas 20 lb full tanks at HomeDepot. We use the Firman hose with regulator with meter connecting to the tanks. Before we hit the starter, the gas meter show full. When the engine turns over few strokes, we see the meter goes from full to zero. The engine died. Do you think the firman regulator is defective? How can I check the regulator is functioning? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did you have both regulators connected?
One at the tank and one at the generator?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
We purchased the Firman Tri fuel hybrid T07571 power generator at Costco Online. It runs OK using gasoline. But does not run on propane. We purchase two new AmeriGas 20 lb full tanks at HomeDepot. We use the Firman hose with regulator with meter connecting to the tanks. Before we hit the starter, the gas meter show full. When the engine turns over few strokes, we see the meter goes from full to zero. The engine died. Do you think the firman regulator is defective? How can I check the regulator is functioning? Thank you for your help.
basic setup
make sure the tank adapter is twisted in all of the way.
did you prime the hose with the prime button?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
kinda weird interlock setup on the choke
watch the video it gets them as well.
start with the choke on and still with the starter grinding switch the choke off.

it may have to do with there is no fuel prime button on this setup
kinda hard on the starter!

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Looks like their dual fuel models also use the choke instead of a primer button. Not particularly slick… but keeps people from overpriming and causing backfires.

Must be particularly annoying recoil starting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your responses and watched Mrs. Dee's review on Youtube.
We connected the new Propane tank using Firman's hose + regulator onto our bbq. Its work fine and flame is blue and running well cooking food.
We connected the propane tank with the firman regulator and our meter to the Firman generator. We follow Mrs. Dee's turn on the choke and push the starter for 3 seconds and turn off the choke to run. Yes, the generator engine runs for few seconds, and then the engine struggle and die. We watch the gas meter and see the meter showing full when starter is hit. Then, meter went to zero and keep staying at zero until engine dies.
We test the Firman generator using gasoline and it runs fine without problem.

So, the problem is using propane on this generator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We now wonder if this generator is defective and need to return back to Costco? But this thing is mighty heavy. Do not have truck to carry it. Any advise?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
One big issue with propane tanks and generator running is a potential air pocket in a tank that hasn’t been filled multiple times or properly vacuumed before it’s first fill. I don’t know what amerigas’s protocol is but it would be prudent to try a known good tank that you’ve owned and filled yourself.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
try to exchange it at cost co.
most of the time these days if you put oil in it it is yours!
and you are stuck at the service center for a repair.
not sure with cost co how they are doing the generator returns and exchanges.
they might exchange it?

it could have a defective regulator hose setup.

try another known good tank first!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I understand you can return defective products to Costco and ask for refund.
Looking at this video, now I understand he has same problem with propane.

He fiddle the choke and make the generator keep running.
So far, We are not able to do with the choke to make the enginer keep running. This generator choke has arrow marking on the frame and we are unable to figure what it means? Can some please tell us how this choke works with propane?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
The choke label normally has two pictures one indicating closed and the other open. The symbol on the left is closed, symbol on the right is open. To start the thing, firman wants the choke closed to prime the engine, and once it fires and stumbles open the choke to let it breath and start running. Are you getting the initial start and stumble? Or is it just cranking away with no indication of combustion occurring?
Rectangle Font Logo Brand Graphics

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Firman generator label the choke left position as "Start" and the right position as "Run". So before hitting the starter, we put the choke at left Start. We watched the propane gauge at Full. After pushed starter running for 3 seconds, we moved the choke to right Run. The engine turning over stumble struggle combustion occuring. The propane gauge at Empty. The engine suggle for few more strokes then die. The propane gauge jump back to full.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Sounds like the tank has a bad valve. Have you tried other tanks yet? Personally I’ve had Amerigas Tanks that are super old with just A fresh coat of paint. in The past year I had one with a straight up gas leak with the valve open, and another that resulted in barely a flame on my propane grill.

This is why you really need to try a know good tank from a neighbor or something. Preferably an owned tank that was bought new and has been refilled a few times, not an exchange.

For the record, a 20lb tank will be depleted very fast by that 439cc engine and will fail to vaporize at low temps. You may want to consider a 100lb tank or a pair of 40lbers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We just brought 2 new 20lb tanks of 15lb propane each of AmeriGas from HomeDepot. We tested both Tanks + Firman regulator / hose + Homedepot gas guage on our BBQ. Both tanks has blue flame and cook food well. The gas guage are at full at all time during cooking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Start engine with choke at left (Start). After 3 seconds, moved choke to right (RUN). Engine continue to stuggle more stokes. Then engine die.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
The generator consumes much more fuel per minute then a Gas grill so the demand is much higher. Its entirely possible that you have a defective regulator on the gas hose.

I never owned one of those gauges, have you tried starting the generator without the gauge?

At this point I see no reason not to contact firman for their assistance in troubleshooting. They in all likelihood will send you a new regulator and hose free of charge.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
kinda a messed up starting method as they want you to keep grinding on the starter while switching off the choke.
it is a 2 handed start deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Removed the propane gas gauge meter, now the propane works with the Firman generator. This gas gauge meter is made by Flame King purchased at HomeDepot.

The Propane tank now connected using Firman regulator directly to the Firman generator without gauge meter. Now the generator works with propane.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. This forum has been very helpful.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts