Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a new firman h07552 generator and finally got it wired to a reliance pro Tran 2 transfer switch. Anytime I attempt to switch to generator power the breaker on the pro Tran trips immediately. I have read into how some people say this is a ground issue as the generator is grounded to the frame. I tried to remove the wire to see what happens and still the same. Do I need a different transfer switch? I have yet to double check my wiring but I do not think that is the issue. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello. I have a new firman h07552 generator and finally got it wired to a reliance pro Tran 2 transfer switch. Anytime I attempt to switch to generator power the breaker on the pro Tran trips immediately. I have read into how some people say this is a ground issue as the generator is grounded to the frame. I tried to remove the wire to see what happens and still the same. Do I need a different transfer switch? I have yet to double check my wiring but I do not think that is the issue. Any help would be great.
You may need a GFI transfer switch:

Like this one:

Or get a generator with a floating neutral like the Honda EU7000IS.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
double check your wiring!
this is a basic transfer switch, and a basic construction gen set.
snap some pix of the wiring for us.
are you using an L1 L2 wiring from the gen set to the trans switch?
snap some pix of the gen connected to the tran switch.

sounds to me like a feeder is swapped on the breaker panel wiring.
try tripping out the main large breaker panel breaker!
then trip in one branch at a time on the transfer switch

if the system works
it is a swapped wire issue!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does that transfer switch break the neutral? If so you need the neutral bonded in the generator.
If the transfer does not break the neutral, then the neutral must be disconnected from the ground in the generator.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
old man here, if i saw the model number right unit it is just switching a few basic circuits and not the whole breaker box.

and yes it needs floating neutral.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
hey
Mdellatore
snap some pix for us please.
we need pix of the switch and the breaker panel with the cover off the breaker panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s hard to see. But the green ground wire from generator is connected to the grounding screw located inside the transfer switch box as well.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
here is a factory video series on installation of the pro tran2
number one

number 2 mounting

number 3 wiring

watch number three close and take notes!
red goes to the breaker, and black to the load on each branch

number 4 replacing breakers

number 5 power inlet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh. I’m in the process of swapping the wires out now. Sometimes I try to think and nothing happens lol

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
the tran 2 setup is a basic sp dt (single pole double throw center off) switch on the 120 volt and double pole on the 240 section.

just a tip.
if you do not need the 240 branch on the gentran2 you can split the 240 breaker to 2 singles to get 2 extra 120 volt sections!
or if you need more 240 sections join 2 of the handles and get another 240 branch!

our basic first setup here we used 3 way light switches to do about the same!
with a dedicated 120 volt inlet from the gen set with a dedicated breaker.
pretty cool!

we have upgraded now to an whole main panel interlock.
it is faster for us on the emergency power setup time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thanks to all. Shocker when it’s wired them correct way it works as it should. Haha I’m very happy now. Thanks again. As
Soon as I saw the wires wrong I felt like a dummy. I was gonna call my father in law as he is a retired 30 year electrician. I would of never heard the end of that one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts