Power Equipment Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, it's the same model that people are seeing these latent defects. I wonder what else these generators have in common? Like very close build dates? Maybe Firman got a bad batch of parts in the assembly line that week? That's kinda what it sounds like.
My build date was 4/2018
Bought from Costco as well.
what are y’all’s?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the P03602 but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with that model. I haven't really had a chance to put it through the paces yet, though. It definitely sounds like a bad batch of 7552s went out around the same time. If it turns out that the other folks have build dates close to yours, perhaps you can all notify Firman together and let them know that there was a latent defect with the model and they really need to step up and make things right.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
make copies of all of your receipts guys for all of the generator and connection parts and save to a digital file for future use.
yea, i have full files dating back 50 years! lol no kidding!
i scan every receipt every day.
sure makes returns or warranty issues a breeze!

it is also nice to be able to show the next owner of the house and or the generator what was spent on a gen system or just the connection part!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
your cost co membership files should show your purchases if you used your card at check out.
my sams club does.
you should be able to reprint the receipt!
look at the purchase history.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How old is your Firman? I thought they had a 3 year warrantee? I would think they would keep working with you as long as you are able to do the test that's next. If the test gets above your ability then I would see getting others involved but to just stop support, that's wrong. I looked for a service manual or repair manual for Firman but did not find one.
No but there is less than 2 hours run time
What does firman have you doing with you issue?
Also, what is your manufacture date?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry just saw the note from you, 10/2018 was date of Manufacture. Firman did all right by us. The new generator was delivered to the house today, brand new in the box. We had to go to Costco to get a re-print of the bill of sale as we could not find our origional bill of sale. Once we sent that to Firman they quickly replaced the Generator with new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry just saw the note from you, 10/2018 was date of Manufacture. Firman did all right by us. The new generator was delivered to the house today, brand new in the box. We had to go to Costco to get a re-print of the bill of sale as we could not find our origional bill of sale. Once we sent that to Firman they quickly replaced the Generator with new.
Hopefully I can have some luck with Costco. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
that is the advantage on costco or buying from a home town dealer.
you are on file with them for warranty.

or using the stores credit card to buy the equipment...

discover card as well as a few other cards did extend the warranty of some items for items with 30 and 90 day warranty.
read the cards fine print on that.

best plan is to have a folder box for items like fridge, freezer, generator , stove, HVAC.
and have a service record for the items as well.
keep the original receipt, if you have rebates send in a photo copy only.
same if you are taking the item in for warranty work to a service center.

treat the proof of purchase like gold!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hopefully I can have some luck with Costco. Fingers crossed.
Express and Implied Warranties
An express warranty is a spoken or written commitment by a seller or manufacturer that a product is functional and in good condition. Typically, if a product fails a certain number of times during a warranty period, a buyer is entitled to a full refund or a replacement product. An implied warranty of merchantability is a guarantee by a seller that any product being sold is free of defects and is functional. An implied warranty of fitness is a guarantee by a seller that a product is designed to be used as advertised. Implied warranties are automatically mandated by state law and are usually limited to 4 years.

In some states, a seller can disclaim an implied warranty by explicitly disclosing that an item is sold "as-is". However, in the following states, items cannot be sold "as-is":
  1. Connecticut
  2. Kansas
  3. Maine
  4. Maryland
  5. Massachusetts
  6. Minnesota
  7. Mississippi
  8. New Hampshire
  9. Vermont
  10. Washington
  11. West Virginia
  12. The District of Columbia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please keep us updated on how they deal with the warranty issue. I have 2 firmans, a couple of minor warranty issues (was able to use it still, so not critical). They were pretty good overall. I'd like to see how they deal with a more serious issue.
We have 2 of them. They never want to do anything about it. I wish we had not bought these from COSTCO. Briggs & Stratton engines are much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am experiencing the same issues on a Firman H05572. After speaking with support, they sent me a new AVR and brushes. However, once I opened up the unit to replace the AVR, one of the slip rings fell out and was was bent up (see attached). I am working with them to get a replacement unit - as they said there is no way to replace the slip rings. 3-4 inches of rain is coming our way tonight and tomorrow so I am praying we won't lose power. View attachment 9548 View attachment 9547

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have 2 of them. They never want to do anything about it. I wish we had not bought these from COSTCO. Briggs & Stratton engines are much better.
It does not say much for tech help from Firman, looks like they have you changing parts and hoping one of them works. Bummer , my tech person had me test the generator by doing the unhook the VFO as the first step. The generator stayed running when un plugged. They said the test shows the AVR as being bad and they are sending me new one to install. Sounds like I am following your steps exactly. Fingers crossed. I brought my backup generator our of the barn to keep it handy. Its 40 years old and still runs and keeps the lights on......
All I can say is that the color matches the quality of their product. Yellow like a lemon! We have two of them, one has a broken rod after 1 season. The other one runs 5 minutes and shuts down. Who buys a product expecting to work on it all the time? Pathetic to say the least.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It sounds like everyone who is having issues with their Firmans bought that Costco duel fuel model, the H05572 and they all seem to be of 2018 vintage. I'm convinced Firman sent out a bad batch of generators in that model line.

Does anyone have a different model Firman they've had a lot of problems with?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
costco has a great return policy...
if you do not like it take it back style of returns...

but so many have abused it during storm events....
buy a gen use it for a few hours then return it...

i could see them putting a stop to the gens and power equipment returns...

all of our local box stores have gone to the repair center method for power equipment.
no in store returns on any item that has had fuel in it.

sign of the times for sure!

·
Registered
438 Posts
costco has a great return policy...
if you do not like it take it back style of returns...

but so many have abused it during storm events....
buy a gen use it for a few hours then return it...

i could see them putting a stop to the gens and power equipment returns...

all of our local box stores have gone to the repair center method for power equipment.
no in store returns on any item that has had fuel in it.

sign of the times for sure!
It'd be nice to pick up a good generator slightly used for a huge discount! I've never seen that in-store, although I've never really looked.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
costco has one of the most relaxed return policies..... at least in the past...

not sure now with all of the changes in the world if they have changed the biz model.

that is why some big name brands do not appear in costco...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting my gen prepped for the incoming storm Henri, it ran for about 5 minutes then it suddenly stopped. After that, it would only run for a few secs then shut down, front volt/hz display wouldn't light and had the blinking red light. I also went through all of the steps many of you detailed in this thread, was told it was the AVR but upon further review, I too came to find my brushes and one of the slip rings destroyed. Dual fuel unit was purchased at Costco (2018) and Firman said it was under warranty until 9/9/2021 (I guess I filled out a warranty card). I chatted back and forth a few times last week with no final resolution, then today I received an email with a return authorization number. Confused, I contacted Firman to find out exactly what was going on, and I was told they are sending me a new unit and I should return the old one in the new ones box.

At the end of the day, while I am a bit concerned with the premature failure of the unit, I have to say that Firman was very responsive to my problem and replacing the unit was more than I expected.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 82 Posts