Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a Firman H07552 generator that is only a season old and worked great last year. This year I put new fuel in, started it up and it will only run for about 5 seconds then shuts down just like some one turned it off, the solid green light then changes to a flashing red light. I have tried it on propane and gas and get the same result. I have confirmed it's got oil and have went as far to unhooked the yellow wire from the oil sensor and it does the same thing, runs and after about 5 seconds then shuts down. Just for fun I took my multimeter and i am getting 4v on the wire the oil sensor plugs in to when the fuel switch is on. While it is running it goes to 5v and once it dies it drops back to 4v. The oil sensor wire has no continuity between the sensor wire and ground. Which I would assume when the oil level gets low or the sensor goes bad you would see continuity between the sensor wire and ground. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

Were you able to figure out the problem? I have the same generator, it ran great last year and it's doing the same thing you mentioned. I tried new oil, spark plug, cleaned air filter, new battery. I disabled the low oil sensor, but still same thing. It runs for a few seconds with the starter light green, and then it's like it just shuts itself off and I get the blinking red light. I'm running it off propane. I pulled the spark plug and verified that it has a spark. Not sure what else to check. Is there a way to check the regulator? Or is there something else I should check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same email reply from Firman. It was looking like the issue was the AVR for me. But when I removed the AVR I noticed that one of the slip rings for the alternator had come loose and was bent up and barely hanging against the rotor. I'm guessing that was the problem. It has caused damage to the windings. I emailed Firman back, but haven't heard from them yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please keep us updated on how they deal with the warranty issue. I have 2 firmans, a couple of minor warranty issues (was able to use it still, so not critical). They were pretty good overall. I'd like to see how they deal with a more serious issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's taken me some time, but I got my generator back up and running. Firman was pretty good about responding to emails. The initial problem was a bad rotor due to the slip ring coming loose. So they sent me a new rotor and stator. I installed the new rotor and verified that I was getting 240v off of the coils. After plugging in the VFO again however the generator would die a few short seconds after starting. After emailing their tech support again it was determined that the VFO unit was faulty and they shipped me another one along with another set of brushes since the damaged slip ring had caused excessive wear to the brush head. I had a chance today to install the VFO and plugged everything back in, and this time the generator stayed running! I still need to run the generator under a heavier load to make sure it can handle it. So far i've only tested it with some shop lights and a space heater. All in all i'm happy with the Firman customer support.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

Were you able to figure out the problem? I have the same generator, it ran great last year and it's doing the same thing you mentioned. I tried new oil, spark plug, cleaned air filter, new battery. I disabled the low oil sensor, but still same thing. It runs for a few seconds with the starter light green, and then it's like it just shuts itself off and I get the blinking red light. I'm running it off propane. I pulled the spark plug and verified that it has a spark. Not sure what else to check. Is there a way to check the regulator? Or is there something else I should.

I have a firman generator and it would turn off suddenly, I figured out that it was the throttle, with the vibration it would trigger to turn off, so I tied it down to the on position. Well it never turned off until I put it to the off position. Easy fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same issues on a Firman H05572. After speaking with support, they sent me a new AVR and brushes. However, once I opened up the unit to replace the AVR, one of the slip rings fell out and was was bent up (see attached). I am working with them to get a replacement unit - as they said there is no way to replace the slip rings. 3-4 inches of rain is coming our way tonight and tomorrow so I am praying we won't lose power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem with mine. I called Firman tech support. It is a bad sensor. They sent me troubleshooting instructions, I responded back to them with the result, and they are mailing me a new sensor. See pics with instructions.

View attachment 8798
View attachment 8797
I am having the same issue with the generator shutting off after 5 seconds then blinking red light.
Did your digital display work when it was running for the 5 seconds? The outlets on mine are not working either while it is on for the short time before shutting off

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am experiencing the same issues on a Firman H05572. After speaking with support, they sent me a new AVR and brushes. However, once I opened up the unit to replace the AVR, one of the slip rings fell out and was was bent up (see attached). I am working with them to get a replacement unit - as they said there is no way to replace the slip rings. 3-4 inches of rain is coming our way tonight and tomorrow so I am praying we won't lose power. View attachment 9548 View attachment 9547
What part number is the slip ring you are referring to?
Firman is sending me out a new AVR and brushes as well.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
arlo: the slip rings are on the rotor or part of the rotor assy., that is where the brushes rub on the rotor to make connection with the rotational element.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Arlo, it looks like you and I have simular issues. I was wondering if the AVR solved your problem?
I also have a 6 second run time and no display ever comes on.
Thanks
Ben
The AVR and brushes did not fix my problem. They are sending me a new VFO and fingers crossed that fixes it. If I unhook the VFO and start the generator, it will run without stopping. Pretty frustrating considering the machine only has 39 hours on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The AVR and brushes did not fix my problem. They are sending me a new VFO and fingers crossed that fixes it. If I unhook the VFO and start the generator, it will run without stopping. Pretty frustrating considering the machine only has 39 hours on it.
Well thats too bad, I was hoping you had it with the AVR - mine has about an hour of run time..... Did you remove both wire plugs on the AVR for the test run? and please let me know how your VFO works out. I'm waiting to hear back from Firman support for my first recomendation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well thats too bad, I was hoping you had it with the AVR - mine has about an hour of run time..... Did you remove both wire plugs on the AVR for the test run? and please let me know how your VFO works out. I'm waiting to hear back from Firman support for my first recomendation.
I unhooked the connections hooked up to the VFO behind the panel and it runs without stopping. It ran without stopping without the VFO hooked up before and after I replaced the AVR.
Even though I told the firman technical service guy that the first time I called, he still recommended the AVR and brushes. Now I had to pay again for the VFO and hopefully that solves the problem. These shouldn’t be having those issues this early and it seems to be fairly common.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I unhooked the connections hooked up to the VFO behind the panel and it runs without stopping. It ran without stopping without the VFO hooked up before and after I replaced the AVR.
Even though I told the firman technical service guy that the first time I called, he still recommended the AVR and brushes. Now I had to pay again for the VFO and hopefully that solves the problem. These shouldn’t be having those issues this early and it seems to be fairly common.
Interesting, I did hear back from support tonight and they want me to test the VFO as the first test. Maybe they learned something from your unit.. Lets hope it works for you. I agree for a new generator they seem to have this problem. Mine was bought in june 2019 and has about an hour or 2 of run time. now I'm fixing it and of course its out of warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting, I did hear back from support tonight and they want me to test the VFO as the first test. Maybe they learned something from your unit.. Lets hope it works for you. I agree for a new generator they seem to have this problem. Mine was bought in june 2019 and has about an hour or 2 of run time. now I'm fixing it and of course its out of warranty.
Well I installed the new VFO tonight and it is doing to same thing. Shuts off after 5 minutes.
I unhook the VFO and it runs without stopping. I wrote back to the technical advisor I was dealing with and will see what he says tomorrow morning.
VERY frustrating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It does not say much for tech help from Firman, looks like they have you changing parts and hoping one of them works. Bummer , my tech person had me test the generator by doing the unhook the VFO as the first step. The generator stayed running when un plugged. They said the test shows the AVR as being bad and they are sending me new one to install. Sounds like I am following your steps exactly. Fingers crossed. I brought my backup generator our of the barn to keep it handy. Its 40 years old and still runs and keeps the lights on......

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does not say much for tech help from Firman, looks like they have you changing parts and hoping one of them works. Bummer , my tech person had me test the generator by doing the unhook the VFO as the first step. The generator stayed running when un plugged. They said the test shows the AVR as being bad and they are sending me new one to install. Sounds like I am following your steps exactly. Fingers crossed. I brought my backup generator our of the barn to keep it handy. Its 40 years old and still runs and keeps the lights on......
Have you installed your new AVR? The firman tech had me measure the resistance across the rings (close to where the AVR is) and said if it’s anything other than 60 ohms than it’s the rotor and or stator
I checked the resistance with my meter and it fluctuated as the it was going through the windings, BUT it stayed very close to 60 and a few times was even at 60. It’s very hard to get the prongs of my meter to stay on the rings due to the awkward angle, but when I got good contact, it stayed close to 60.
I emailed the firman tech my findings and will see what he says back.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts