Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
yup lots of bricks out there in tractors as well as cars and trucks right now.
i guess that is why i am sold on honda...
there are a lot of parts options for them...

Registered
Duromax generators engineered & service in Ontario, CA. 馃憤

4. Where are our generators made?
Our generators will be designed by our engineering team in Ontario, California, and built overseas to our specifications.

Technically, not made in the USA.

Registered
馃憜 Yup, portable generators are all made (or use parts) "overseas" even though some final assembly may be done in a U.S. or Canadian facility.

Even Hondas are made in 11 different countries around the world like Japan, France, China, India, Thailand, and the U.S.

Registered
馃憜 Yup, portable generators are all made (or use parts) "overseas" even though some final assembly may be done in a U.S. or Canadian facility.

Even Hondas are made in 11 different countries around the world like Japan, France, China, India, Thailand, and the U.S.
Actually, I was pertaining to 3rd-party sites such as the one listed (generatorhero.com) and others like it.... oofgrid.co, boonieriders.org, and many others, stating that it's made in the USA.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've been working on some improvements and will post some new pictures when I'm done. I started the generator up and it's super quiet, I'm very happy with the DuroMax XP9000iH thus far. Even though the front of the enclosure is open the walls and roof block a lot of noise, especially towards my neighbor's houses. I don't think I mentioned it but I put rockwool safe and sound insulation in the walls, it was a cheap investment considering the size of the shed.

I'm running the exhaust out of the enclosure with 1.5" galvanized flexible exhaust tube. I decided against running it through the wall even though that would have been a cleaner looking installation. I just wasn't comfortable having the exhaust go through a wood framed and sheathed wall. If I had gone with block walls I would have used a double insulated exhaust tube and a thimble and not given it a second thought, oh well! The exhaust will be pointed away from the open wall so it will be less likely to be sucked back into the enclosure.

The other thing I decided to do is wall off the propane tanks from the generator. I've been reading up on the marine ABYC standards for propane storage and will be following those recommendations as closely as possible. There will be a gasketed lid and removable access wall in the front so I can slide the tanks out. I'm putting in several 4" vents to the exterior to allow the compartment to safely vent and get air movement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey folks,

I built a vented box with removable panels for my propane tanks to sit in and routed the exhaust out of the enclosure with 1.5" flexible exhaust tubing. I wrapped the exhaust extension in exhaust heat wrap, I figure this will save me from getting a burn one day. I'm waiting on some stainless mesh to put on the end of the exhaust extension as a spark arrestor and to prevent lizards from crawling into the exhaust tubing.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt

There are three removable panels that afford me access to the tanks and manifold. I added a water column gauge on the manifold as well:

Composite material Gas Concrete Wood Building material

There are two 4" vents that go directly out of the enclosure in the back, and then a 4" vent at the front of the enclosure.

White Electrical wiring Cable Automotive tire Wire

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Registered
What's that box in the corner, a beer cooler? Definately need cold beer when the power goes out!

Good thinking!
I believe that's where the propane tanks are.

Personally, I think it's a lot safer without the propane enclosure. Any leaks will just dissipate in the surrounding air. With an enclosure, leaking propane gasses will pool up inside which is a potential danger when it somehow finds an ignition source.

The gen itself will need some ventilation. An attic fan on one side to keep air flowing would suffice.

Otherwise, I like it!

Registered
Personally, I think it's a lot safer without the propane enclosure. Any leaks will just dissipate in the surrounding air. With an enclosure, leaking propane gasses will pool up inside which is a potential danger when it somehow finds an ignition source.
It looks like he has plenty of ventilation ports on the propane box.
There are two 4" vents that go directly out of the enclosure in the back, and then a 4" vent at the front of the enclosure.

The gen itself will need some ventilation. An attic fan on one side to keep air flowing would suffice.
Go back and look at the first post. He has a fan, which you already commented on.

Registered
It looks like he has plenty of ventilation ports on the propane box.
Propane is heavier than air so it will settle and collect at the bottom, like water does. From the pics, the vents are at least a foot and a half from the ground.... that's a lot of propane to pool up before it reaches the vents.

The most significant difference between propane and natural gas is that propane gas is HEAVIER than air. If propane gas leaks, it does not tend to vent safely into the air. Rather, it settles in low areas, both inside a structure or outside.

Registered
Propane is heavier than air so it will settle and collect at the bottom, like water does. From the pics, the vents are at least a foot and a half from the ground.... that's a lot of propane to pool up before it reaches the vents.
To me it looks like the bottom vents are within inches, not feet, of the floor...

Reactions: OrlyP

Registered
From the pics, the vents are at least a foot and a half from the ground
It doesn't look like that to me. The vents are 4" diameter. It looks like they are sitting on the sill plate. That would be 1-1/2" off the ground. He has another vent up high at the front, so a natural flow would be established from high to low with a propane leak.

The only thing I see missing is a leak detector.

Registered
Coffee... need coffee. Didn't immediately see the external vents. Only saw the one in front. Yeah, that can work.

Still, you want any leaks to immediately disperse and dissipate. Any concentration from the vents can still ignite if it finds an ignition source. Though, that's mostly unlikely.

That's why propane bottles are stored outside and only secured in a screen enclosure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It doesn't look like that to me. The vents are 4" diameter. It looks like they are sitting on the sill plate. That would be 1-1/2" off the ground. He has another vent up high at the front, so a natural flow would be established from high to low with a propane leak.

The only thing I see missing is a leak detector.
Yep, exactly - two 4" diameter vents ducted through the wall just above the sill plates and then another up 4" diameter vent high in the front. I might add a leak detector, I'm looking at a 12v propane leak detector made for RVs and it only draws 75mA @ 12VDC. I think I could connect that to the generator's battery and be okay with the 10w solar panel. I'm thinking a battery monitor would be in order too!

I do agree it would be ideal to have the tanks in a separate structure but I didn't want to complicate it with another structure and I don't have a lot of space in this part of my yard, my pool heat pump is ~8-9 feet away from this. Mostly I wanted the tanks to be out of the weather and in the case of a hurricane, safe and secure. I treated the enclosure like you would on a boat, it's well sealed from the rest of the structure and vented to the outside.

The propane tanks will be shut off at the tank valves until I need to run the generator and this set up let's me turn the generator on at a moment's notice. I will likely be running gasoline (ethanol free) during extended outages. I am trying to avoid keeping gas in the generator and then having to drain the tank if it sits too long.

Registered
Something like this could run the leak detector, a battery maintainer, and some led lights in the shed (so that you don't have to work by flashlight). You would need to upgrade to a larger solar panel of course to keep up with the demand.
It will run up to 100W @ 110V. It is on sale right now with the $15 off coupon.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts