Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is the enclosure approach a safety or noise thing? The reason I went with a Honda inverter was so that I wouldn't need to worry about noise. In fact, I can hear my two neighbors whole house Generacs over mine and they are over 300' away while mine sits just outside my den sliding doors. I keep the generator in the garage until it is needed, then I move it to the backyard and connect it to the natural gas line and the input box. If the weather is bad, I clip on a homemade canopy to keep the rain off. This setup pretty much removes any heat concern issues. I can chain up the generator if I need to try to prevent someone from taking it. I have read that the Honda's can be sensitive to running on very hot days, but we don't have that issue in NY. I don't see how an enclosure would help me, but we don't lose power very often.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I was going to try the Rockwool on the walls. Mostly for the sound deadening. Even though I have 4 openings where noise gets out. I started with the intake and exhaust openings. Then added 2 openings, one each in the doors up high to try to bleed off more heat.

I had also considered an intake fan. I'm not sure if my 1320 CFM fan is really putting out 1320. I was thinking I would use the one I have for the intake and getting a bigger one for the exhaust side.

Will the foil faced fiberglass hold up in direct contact with the exhaust ducting? And what kind of CFM do you thing would be sufficient for the exhaust side?
Technically fiberglass insulation has a melting point of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. So it can withstand the temps of engine exhaust which hovers around 600 degrees at its peak. A header wrap in conjunction with foil faced fiberglass can provide piece of mind and have substantial heat control.

I think you need a 20” exhaust fan minimum. CFM will vary a bit from brand of fan and it’s rated horsepower. I looked back at my invoice from 2020 when I bought my 20” exhaust fan and motorized intake. Prices have literally DOUBLED. Wow.

Here’s what I used.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is the enclosure approach a safety or noise thing? The reason I went with a Honda inverter was so that I wouldn't need to worry about noise. In fact, I can hear my two neighbors whole house Generacs over mine and they are over 300' away while mine sits just outside my den sliding doors. I keep the generator in the garage until it is needed, then I move it to the backyard and connect it to the natural gas line and the input box. If the weather is bad, I clip on a homemade canopy to keep the rain off. This setup pretty much removes any heat concern issues. I can chain up the generator if I need to try to prevent someone from taking it. I have read that the Honda's can be sensitive to running on very hot days, but we don't have that issue in NY. I don't see how an enclosure would help me, but we don't lose power very often.
Can't I have my cake and eat too? And at half the price while we're at it? :ROFLMAO: Safety and reliability is the most important. Noise reduction would be a nice bonus. Its also because I have no room in the garage for storage. I've never even had cars in the garage. It's filled with tools and machines. But the generator being pretty much ready to go, so that even my wife could do it in a pinch is a bonus.

We lost power 3 weeks after I finished the shed. In less than 10 minutes the house was lit up like a Christmas tree. The look on my wife's face was worth all the time and every penny I spent doing it. And we've been having more frequent power outages. Now I'm just trying to make the set up better. Security-wise the shed is behind a 6 foot privacy fence with a very large dog who prefers to be outside and doesn't like people in his yard. He still barks at the pool guy from inside the house after 8 years. If he knows you you're golden, if not, I really don't want to have to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Technically fiberglass insulation has a melting point of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. So it can withstand the temps of engine exhaust which hovers around 600 degrees at its peak. A header wrap in conjunction with foil faced fiberglass can provide piece of mind and have substantial heat control.

I think you need a 20” exhaust fan minimum. CFM will vary a bit from brand of fan and it’s rated horsepower. I looked back at my invoice from 2020 when I bought my 20” exhaust fan and motorized intake. Prices have literally DOUBLED. Wow.

Here’s what I used.
Wow is right. Those fans aren't cheap. Maybe I could get by with a 16" fan if I put my fan on the intake side? And I will look into the fiberglass wrap.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Wow is right. Those fans aren't cheap. Maybe I could get by with a 16" fan if I put my fan on the intake side? And I will look into the fiberglass wrap.
What do you have for an intake louvre? Maybe a fan on the intake as well as the exhaust. If ambient tamps get to high you can always just open the doors at least. Wireless thermometers to monitor things is a good idea.

On my old champion I installed a normally open temperature switch parallel with the low oil shutoff just incase enclosure temps got too high.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What do you have for an intake louvre? Maybe a fan on the intake as well as the exhaust. If ambient tamps get to high you can always just open the doors at least. Wireless thermometers to monitor things is a good idea.

On my old champion I installed a normally open temperature switch parallel with the low oil shutoff just incase enclosure temps got too high.
I've got one of those indoor type vent covers. It has a custom screen to keep out critters and insects behind it. That's what I was thinking. I could take the (supposedly) 1320 CFM exhaust fan I have now and turn it around for the intake. Then get a better one for the exhaust side. I have critter screening in front of the exhaust fan also. As I've been driving myself nuts with this, I've been thinking I've been losing some air flow velocity with the screening too. But I don't really know if that's true. Pictures below of current set up.

Property Plant Mesh Wood Grille

Automotive tire Gas Machine Wood Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I did the same thing on my previous enclosure for the champion generator. It did boost airflow by adding a push fan to the intake. That may work for you, but I can’t say for sure it would be enough for your climate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I did the same thing on my previous enclosure for the champion generator. It did boost airflow by adding a push fan to the intake. That may work for you, but I can’t say for sure it would be enough for your climate.
I guess all I can do is try. But it certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I had actually considered one of those multi walled stove pipes. But holy crap! Those things are not cheap!
yea they are pricey in stainless..
you can build you own if you have a good cheap salvage yard close.
metal right now is up there and in high demand for the good stuff

21 - 29 of 29 Posts