Power Equipment Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i run block heaters, battery chargers, and battery blanket heaters on all of the equipment for winter.
i make cords that are one inlet plug and tri split for 3 outlets so in summer the heaters can be unplugged.
and we get 8 to 10 years now on the batteries as a result!
batteries are $120.00 to 190.00 usd each on these rigs....
so the heaters are a parking ticket compared to replacing a battery that is cold damaged split case due to frozen during an extreme cold start up.
yes at -20F or colder if you pull enough current on a battery it will instant freeze as the acid goes from that state to water.
and boom instant expanding ice block!
it will split a case on a battery and or damage the internal spacing on the plates to make the battery short out or not as good as designed.
more in another post!

·
Registered
385 Posts
You’d be amazed at the difference a good synthetic oil makes in an extreme temperature situation. Most notable in cold starts or in reduced operating temperatures during hot weather. I’ve experienced the benefits and use synthetic oil in every piece of equipment that I hold dear…😉

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good question
I’ve tried to start engines that were super cold before
Starter might labor mightily but never blew a fuse

hopefully once I get it warmed a bitI can start with recoil

It was the 15 amp.
I have 2 of these 7000’s at our cottage and they will not start using the electric start when below -28 to -30C around -20F give or take without the 15 amp fuses blowing. You have to hand pull them when it’s cold or you will go through a lot of fuses. Design flaw that is common if you google it. Tempted to try a 20 amp fuse some time but worried about the consequences. Mine are 2018 and 2020 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 of these 7000’s at our cottage and they will not start using the electric start when below -28 to -30C around -20F give or take without the 15 amp fuses blowing. You have to hand pull them when it’s cold or you will go through a lot of fuses. Design flaw that is common if you google it. Tempted to try a 20 amp fuse some time but worried about the consequences. Mine are 2018 and 2020 models.
Failed to mention that I changed the batteries to external car batteries with battery tenders so no issue with power. The original batteries struggled with the cold.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Failed to mention that I changed the batteries to external car batteries with battery tenders so no issue with power. The original batteries struggled with the cold.
Fortunately we don't have temps that cold. In fact the genset is 4+ YO and I've never pull started it and have the original battery. But at last oil change the handle was hanging over so I pulled it slightly. OhNo, mouse damage on the cord! How the heck did that critter get in there? I wonder how many are in there? Anyway, I need to pull the cord while running or with the plug out, I don't want to lose the cord into the recoil. My gosh that is not a disassembly I want.

BTW, my EU7000 runs daily in the winter. I have not noted any sluggishness yet. It'll probably be one of those good today dead tomorrow things.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
In your experience, when the fuse pops does the starter…
A) crank the engine over momentarily before the fuse pops.
B) Starter engages with an audible click but doesn’t crank.
C) No audible engagement never cranks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 2 of these 7000’s at our cottage and they will not start using the electric start when below -28 to -30C around -20F give or take without the 15 amp fuses blowing. You have to hand pull them when it’s cold or you will go through a lot of fuses. Mine are 2018 and 2020 models.
Terry, what oil are you using and what viscosity? A good synthetic oil will make a difference. Not all oils are made equal. They do have to meet “minimum” standards and that’s what most do, minimum. I use Amsoil Synthetic Small Engine Oil in all my small engines and it makes a difference. Very low pour point and yet a very high flash point too. High ZDDP levels to minimize wear and can protect up to 200 hours in a pinch. Sometimes at oil change time it still looks so good that I wonder if it was necessary. Car oils aren’t made for the extreme service that most small engines operate in. At the very least use a synthetic motorcycle oil if you can find it in the recommended viscosity. pm if you want a link to Amsoil. I order it factory direct and it’s usually on my porch within 2 days…😉

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have 2 of these 7000’s at our cottage and they will not start using the electric start when below -28 to -30C around -20F give or take without the 15 amp fuses blowing.
Wow. One $4000 generator is a hit. And you bought another? Why not a third?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm aware of the irony but it may be best to just use the recoil in sub-zero weather to save the main fuse from popping.

Is this something Honda should be aware of? Maybe put it in a service bulletin NOT to use the electric starter if the ambient temp is minus-X degrees or something?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
are you running battery blankets to keep the car batteries warm?
-20F is cold
what weight of engine oil are you running?
try a 0-30 oil
as well as a heater for the engine block.
you could use separated batteries from the start batteries to run the block and battery heaters.

or pipe waste heat in from the cottage to the gen shack.
do a heat re claimer coil setup around the wood stove pipe and run out to the gen shack.
you can use oil on that setup to make an oil piped convection heater.
better yet with a small flow 12 volt pump for the flow.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts