Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
ha ha
Yeah it’s around -40 today so about as bad as it gets where I am. You really don’t even think about trying to start machines in this weather.

had to get the gennie going but turning over a truck engine? ***etaboutit

only go out the door to get an armload of firewood off the porch
Yikes that’s cold. Iowagolds suggestion of 0w-20 or 0w-30 might be prudent.

I’m curious, did your eu7000 come equipped with the PCV heater? I think it’s standard on Canadian models and an option on US models.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
One thing this has forced on us in our off-grid location is the concept of heated utility sheds or outbuildings ... it isn't enough to keep the rain out all seasons, we also have to heat the structure (propane heaters w/ thermostats) in the bitter winter months.
A friend of mine added a nice big garage to his house. He installed a hydronic radiant floor heating system embedded into the poured concrete floor. The heat source is a basic 6 gallon 1500watt 120v electric water heater. He claims his garage is a comfortable 60 something degrees in the winter and it barely made a dent in his electricity bill. Once the concrete warms up it stays warm and requires very little energy to maintain temp.

Given a fairly well insulated structure I wonder if this would be practical or even sustainable for an off grid setup. Maybe propane instead of electric. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yikes that’s cold. Iowagolds suggestion of 0w-20 or 0w-30 might be prudent.

I’m curious, did your eu7000 come equipped with the PCV heater? I think it’s standard on Canadian models and an option on US models.
don’t think it does

a breather tube heater is an option

·
Registered
93 Posts
Um, mine is outside. Battery is 5 years old. It goes most of the summer without running. Still kicks off like new in the winter. I use 10-30 Mobile1 year around. Its gotten to 3f lately. I am in generator season and it runs 3hrs/day.

I ONLY run non ethanol gas. Fortunately I don't have to deal with temps below zero for more than a few hours overnight. Plz consider your fuel and fueling procedure. If ethanol, never turn the jug upside down for the last few drops.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its gotten to 3f lately.
Oh, sorry, I missed the post about how cold it was getting there. Wow, that's really cold. CV-19 just kind of falls to the ground, eh?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mr. Speedy, slow down and pay attention. He’s in Alaska. I know you’re in the UK, but anyone that hears Alaska mentioned knows how cold it can get there. Why -20C they’re still wearing shorts. At -20F they start thinking about wearing long sleeve shirts. Both temps are frigging cold…LOL Everything in Alaska is extreme. Mosquitoes there are killed with birdshot.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
lol on the skeeders and bird shot.....
i thought they used guided missiles to kill the skeeders in ak!
almost as big as the canada birds!
when the storms blow down a few from way up north
we see them here in Iowa...
BIG suckers!!
WOW!
you get a bruise when they land!
lol!
just having fun this am!
and -1 F this am here in Iowa and is to get down to -10F tonight
super cold for sure..
hard on cattle!

·
Registered
93 Posts
and -1 F this am here in Iowa and is to get down to -10F tonight
super cold for sure..
Between that and snow drifts almost to the power lines, tornados and summer humidity that is the same number as the temperature and a few more reasons - I haven't regretted moving to the PNW. But the people... I surely miss big hearted mid west country folk.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
-4 deg F at 11:00 pm here right now.
i just got back in from checking block heaters on all equipment here.
BURRRR!
lol!
wear a mask is a normal smart thing here in Iowa winter so you do not freeze the lungs when working outside.
you get a bit of pre heat when huffing and puffing when doing real work.
and thinsulate insulated item is a must for the wind!

·
Registered
309 Posts
so far haven't found any slo-bo fuses below 20 amp
You can use a fuse holder with its ends crimped onto a pair of spades that would fit the OEM 15A ATO fuse socket.

For the fuse, here's a 15A slow-blow ceramic fuse, which should fit the above fuse holder.

It's just a question of fitment or if there's room to route and hide the pigtail. I reckon there's some headroom in the battery compartment to slip this in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are we talking -20c or -20f here, because there's a big difference?
Not sure I get the Celsius vs. Fahrenheit thing.

A number in Fahrenheit is colder than the same number in Celsius?

But I knew a guy from Alaska who was visiting the Yukon when it was -40 C. He said it didn't seem any warmer than when it was -40 F in Alaska.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Im guessing diesel engines are more likely to start than petrol engines in really cold conditions because of the warming up the engine from the glowplugs? But it takes more power out of the battery with the starting of the engine and heating up the plugs

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im guessing diesel engines are more likely to start than petrol engines in really cold conditions because of the warming up the engine from the glowplugs? But it takes more power out of the battery with the starting of the engine and heating up the plugs
Not. Glow plugs do not heat the engine, only the combustion chamber or a moment. If you are not diesel oriented don't guess. Yes, glow plugs pull a bunch of amps but they also get the battery chemistry going before you turn the key to start. That's why there are typically two batteries. I takes a bunch of amps.

I love diesels. I don't have a diesel pickup cause I wouldn't work it hard enough. But I have several on site diesels and love em.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd say that in sub-freezing temperatures, it's painful to watch either gas or Diesel engine struggle at starting. When they say that most of the wear and tear happens during cold starts, that's especially true in frigid weather.

I own a Diesel and the coldest it's been to is up in our local boonies in the low 10s °C weather. Using a 10W40 oil, it still takes a few seconds for the clatter in the engine to quiet down after starting from cold.

But BTT, how is the OP doing? Did replacing the 15A fuse solve the problem with the electrics? Might've missed that one if it did.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd say that in sub-freezing temperatures, it's painful to watch either gas or Diesel engine struggle at starting. When they say that most of the wear and tear happens during cold starts, that's especially true in frigid weather.

I own a Diesel and the coldest it's been to is up in our local boonies in the low 10s °C weather. Using a 10W40 oil, it still takes a few seconds for the clatter in the engine to quiet down after starting from cold.

But BTT, how is the OP doing? Did replacing the 15A fuse solve the problem with the electrics? Might've missed that one if it did.
That's why God created the block heater.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts