Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just received and installed the US Carburetion tri-fuel kit and everything works great! I had a spare 1/2" natural gas line that was originally used for a fireplace insert, removed and capped a few years ago. I added a quick disconnect to this line and ran a 12 ft hose to the generator. Tweaked the regulator with about 6kw applied and it is running smooth at max, with varying loads, and with eco mode. What a great investment! No more lugging gasoline around.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we use quick connects on all of the hoses.
and silicone caps.
I think I'm going to get a second quick disconnect and an elbow for the generator side. Was kind of awkward trying to move the generator with the long hose attached and sticking out.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
yup!
get the large 3/4 dia on the elbow for better flow or full port elbow.
heck we got the last quick couplers at menards!
every one else was sold out last dec.
mb sturgis is my choice of coupler if you can get them...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup!
get the large 3/4 dia on the elbow for better flow or full port elbow.
heck we got the last quick couplers at menards!
every one else was sold out last dec.
mb sturgis is my choice of coupler if you can get them...
When I install the quick disconnect on the generator side, my plan is to put the female connector on the hose end and the male connector on the generator. That way, if the connection came loose, the gas supply wouldn't be leaking. Is this standard practice?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
works for me!
we went double female on the hose and then a back to back male on the feed from the house.
then the line stays charged with low pressure LP or NG vapor.

and use a silicone cap over the male on the gen when on gasoline or storage.
we like the mb stugis caps and plugs when you can get them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
works for me!
we went double female on the hose and then a back to back male on the feed from the house.
then the line stays charged with low pressure LP or NG vapor.

and use a silicone cap over the male on the gen when on gasoline or storage.
we like the mb stugis caps and plugs when you can get them.
I just ordered everything directly from US Carb...seems like their fittings come with the silicone caps, though mine were yellow...their picture shows black:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you guys are doing quick disconnects at both the supply and regulator end? You find no restriction issues as a result? Paul where can I find a “full port elbow” you reference to attach to the US carb regulator supply side! Thanks

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I find that UScarb has the best quick connects for a reasonable price. All brass and robust. If the generator runs in an enclosure Only one pair of quick disconnect is fine, but if not in an enclosure quick disconnects on both ends is the right move.

How is the gas pipe that your using configured in the house? 1/2“ feed, 1/2” hose and 2 pairs of 1/2” quick disconnects on natural gas put you in a position of possibly low fuel supply volume. It’s important to consider the effect other gas appliances will have on the generator supply. On the safe side you need to supply 110,000 - 120,000 btuh.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have my eu6500i supplied by 1” off the meter for 60’ to a female disconnect with ball valve On outside wall. From there, 1” hose with male quick disconnect on on one end and threaded on other connected directly to regulator at generator. This has always been cumbersome with hose sticking way out of regulator. Would like to either add disconnect at regulator or 90 threaded elbow to change direction of hose. Have always been concerned about limiting number of bends.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 1/2" generator line comes right off the meter...everything else in the house is off a separate 1" tap. Based on my initial testing with the 1/2" hose and connectors, I don't think I'll have a problem. The generator was delivering a solid 6kW. We usually run at half load or below and on ECO mode. If I end up running into an issue, I'll convert it all to 3/4", but so far so good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only reason I upsized the feed to 1”, was the 60’ run from the meter to the quick disconnect. May be overkill, but whatever.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
If it’s a straight shot from from the meter with few bends and 7-8” WC line pressure you should be fine. If the run is tee‘d off late with lots of elbows you might be borderline but ok. If it’s a 3.5” WC system then 1/2 wouldn’t be sufficient.

Always a good sign that the load 6000 watt load test went well. How is the EU7000 cold starting on natural gas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 60’ run is dedicate to the unit. Over the eight years or so I have had this set up, I have never actually checked WC with manometer or put a load bank test on it. it doors run everything in my mainly gas appliance home with ease. All of 85 hours on a 13 yr old machine. Eighty of which from periodic test. And want to keep it that way!

Good luck with set up. I am very happy with the US Carb setup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it’s a straight shot from from the meter with few bends and 7-8” WC line pressure you should be fine. If the run is tee‘d off late with lots of elbows you might be borderline but ok. If it’s a 3.5” WC system then 1/2 wouldn’t be sufficient.

Always a good sign that the load 6000 watt load test went well. How is the EU7000 cold starting on natural gas?
I hit the primer on the regular once or twice and the generator starts with the first button push. I haven't tried running it with other gas appliances in the house running, so I'll have to try turning on some burners in the kitchen with the gas boiler running and see if there are any supply issues.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
good idea of watching a burner on the stove!
if it is lower flame during any other appliance kicking in.
then you have a volume flow issue.

or if the gen changes rpm or sound when gas appliances kick in..
watch the gen line pressure when testing!
have some one else kick in and out the other gas appliances.
if the numbers change. you have an issue with volume.

we try to run 1 inch ID up to the gens here. then neck down to coupler size right at the gens connection.
pm me for pix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the EU6500is and converted it when nearly new to US Carb's trifuel kit. I ran it off of city NG for a few years before moving out to the boonies and now I'm using it with propane.

When I did the calcs, it indicated 1" supply line for my 60 ft run from the meter -- half of that I installed in pipe and then converted to quick connect female for 1" hose with a big ball valve at that transition. The generator side of the hose I connect threaded to the regulator intake. I've never had a fuel delivery problem but the company I had make the hose and install the 1" quick connect also ran the calcs and specified 1" as the way to go for that demand of gas.

You don't mention how far the run is with the 1/2" pipe before the 1/2" 12 ft long hose run starts. I'd run some full load tests on that setup to make sure you'll not be starving for fuel. You may be getting away with it if it's a really short run.

But yes! Sure beats the heck out of using gasoline!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I just received and installed the US Carburetion tri-fuel kit and everything works great! I had a spare 1/2" natural gas line that was originally used for a fireplace insert, removed and capped a few years ago. I added a quick disconnect to this line and ran a 12 ft hose to the generator. Tweaked the regulator with about 6kw applied and it is running smooth at max, with varying loads, and with eco mode. What a great investment! No more lugging gasoline around.

View attachment 9300
Is that neat? I run my 10K that way as a primary fuel, Propane as backup, and last, Gasoline as the last backup. As long you have NG service, you are good to go.

Now, get yourself some 100Lbs Propane tanks and you can use it for power, cooking and/or heating. If your furnance is switchable to Propane. Talk about some flexibility right there ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It looks like you had a 1600W load on it when you started it? If so, why would you do that?
Having it loaded when starting it can’t be the best thing for the generator......versus starting it with no load.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts