21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
they make crimp pins that work well to capture all of the strands.

we modify the eu-7000i with a marine 50 amp twistlock.
ultra hd that way.

solder or tinning the wire is ok...
but the lead will be an issue over time.

maybe silver solder?
then use the dielectric grease.
we use the better 14-30 connectors and do not have an issue.

make sure to torque those screws with a torque screw driver with a new bit.
pm if you need links to the parts and tools.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Confession time. The L5-30 twist lock plug failed on the hot lead and melted the surrounding plastic and overheated the screw clamp and wire. I had disassembled and inspected and snugged it this summer and all was good. Recently, in troubleshooting, I shot the connector with an IR thermometer under load as well as many other places. All good but not.

So the DW is coming home from a trip to the city with two of 'em, If in Home Despot stock.. Replacement happens ASAP this afternoon.

So here is a question for sparktricians: You know the plug. The wire enters the hole and you screw it down with the cleat, wire on one side, pulling it up tight to the prong. But I've always had to give the stranded 10ga stripped wire a good twist or the strands splay out with some strands not being captured - ugly, sloppy and poor workmanship. But with the twist it increases the diameter and the cleat can have quite a tilt with the 10ga one one side. This makes torqueing it a problem as the screw/cleat can strip easily. I've considered a slight tack of solder - only on the ends of the strands, to hold them together (not wicking the solder throughout the stands, just on the end). Then flux cleaning.

Maybe there is a L5 plug out there that has a set screw style clamp but it's not available to me locally. Sheesh, everywhere else in the circuit there are set screw clamps but not on the plug which is the most movable anywhere along the line. This is my weak link.

Input?
“DW” ? Darn woman?

The clamp style wire Terminal has never been a problem for me. It’s the most common terminal in plugs. The twist Your are adding is what’s probably hurting you. The twist has more space to compress leaving the connection more loose.

Leave the wires straight so that the clamp can have more surface area with the strands. It’s best to retighten the connection once or twice with some time for the connection to relax before assembling the rest of the plug. Don’t use a worn screwdriver either, these terminals need to be TIGHT.

I also like Hubbles connectors these days. Eatons arrow head plugs are solid and heavy duty as well, a bit on the larger side though.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts