Power Equipment Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
ha the coil must to have cooked out?
yea I would keep one coil with cap on hand as well as pull rope, spark plug, air filters.
I also keep recoil assy's on hand at least one for each gen.
I have a good link for parts at
HONDA_GENERATOR
there is a parts coupon there you can use at check out for % off.
they are in the Omaha area for fast shipping every where in the lower 48 usa.

glad to hear you are up ok!!
yea I have a good story on a eu1000i unit!!
almost as good as this one!!
super hard to find issue on a no run.
if the gang wants to hear the story I can start a new post.
Always up for a good story, I have an eu1000 also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'Morning flolks! This is the first post on this forum. There's a wealth of info in this thread and I need it.

My EU7000is is a touch over two years old and has a bit over 1500 hrs on it. Late this summer I went over it and changed the air and fuel filters, cleaned the tank, adjusted the valves, cleaned the spark arrestor, etc. This unit is critical for us as we are 100% solar but lose sunlight for about 2.5 months in the winter and need this genset to keep the batteries charged.

Recently I started getting the E-0A error (O2 sensor) which could be caused from a myriad of things. I checked it over and nothing obvious so, what the heck, I changed the spark plug which was the original. It looked great. That seem to have solved it for two weeks until this morning. I have an autostart triggered by the inverter but the genset never made it through the 4 minute warm up and shut down with the E-0A again. I'm temped to remove the spark plug and put it back in to buy me another two weeks (wink, just kidding). Seriously, I need to find the real source before winter really sets in the the season.

I'll start with the fuel cap ajar. Then pull the O2 sensor and check that harness. The unit is pretty tight and I've never seen evidence of rodents getting into the Honda - darn critters have cost me a lot of money on other equipment over the years. I don't think its fuel delivery as when this first happened an attempt to manually restart after the shut down caused a backfire in the exhaust from fuel fumes built up. Then check the low oil sensor. I don't have any way to test the coil other than a visual of the spark plug arc. Then I'll go from there.

Thanks again for all the good info.
JRH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pull the O2 sensor and clean it. If the EU7000is doesn't run long enough to generate full operating heat, it'll get clogged up over time.

Well this should answer the question. It was under the cover when I went to check the Oil level switch. Cleaned and reassembled. The genset is purring away right now. Stinkers.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
good one!
loose rat in the gen set!!
yea check the air temp and air pressure sensor as well
it is tied in to the lambda fuel system.
they can give a cross flag on the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good one!
loose rat in the gen set!!
yea check the air temp and air pressure sensor as well
it is tied in to the lambda fuel system.
they can give a cross flag on the codes.
Thanks folks. I didn't see any evidence of bites on the Oil Pressure lead but I did reseat the barrel connector. In the time since I fully broke the unit in (2nd oil change), I have left the econ mode on year around. But I set the solar inverter for four minutes for warm up in the winter and two minutes in warmer weather. This year as the winter weather rolls in the unit will shut down has the solar inverter connects. The inverter loads softly but even so the generator immediately shuts down. So there is still something going on.... This AM it loaded normally with the ECO off but the engine isn't running its normal smoothness with no load.

Yup. It's time to start checking sensors.

·
Registered
757 Posts
four minutes for warm up in the winter and two minutes in warmer weather
That doesn't seem like a long enough warm-up for an EFI system. Per page 29 of your manual:

STARTING THE ENGINE: Make sure the Eco-Throttle switch is in the OFF position, or more time will be required for warm-up. If you wish to use the Eco-Throttle system, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the ON position after the engine has warmed up for 2 or 3 minutes.

I bet you'd need at least a 5 minute warmup in summer and maybe 10 minutes in winter for the exhaust system to come up to EFI sensing temp. It's probably running on default map prior to that.
In an electronic fuel injection system for an internal combustion engine an oxygen sensor tests the exhaust gas for oxygen content and provides a feedback signal for fuel/air mixture control. During cold start and engine warm-up the oxygen sensor is inoperative and mixture is controlled as a function of engine temperature. During this phase the mixture may be excessively lean causing rough engine running.
Definitely check your O2 sensor for fouling...

·
Registered
4 Posts
That doesn't seem like a long enough warm-up for an EFI system. Per page 29 of your manual: ...
Definitely check your O2 sensor for fouling...
Found it. It's the oil sensor. Most often the genset auto starts so I'm not in front of it. Today I was running manually from the panel and there it was: oil error. No error mode logged - just the light momentarily and a display error as it shut down. Checked the oil and it was fine. Disconnected the sensor and it ran wonderfully. Ran smooth, ECO or not. In 1500 hrs it has not used any oil so I'm not too worried. Next oil change in 50 hrs I'll pull it and test. Dang, its just a grounding switch. $5k gamble but I have bought a powerball ticket with worse odds.

BTW, this is critical timing. I'm changing over from Trojans to SimpliPhis and have to charge them off line to full SOC. I can't have the genset choking out mid charge. I think I have it solved.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's the oil sensor.
Yeah, you were supposed to check that way back at thread post #20... Figured you'd already done that. When you add onto an existing thread we all figure you've exhausted the prior troubleshooting steps.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts