Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been having a shut down at 2 or 3 minutes. E-0A. Well that's about as general as it gets. I pulled the spark arrestor out (that's what it was last time). All is clear under the side doors. OK, I'll change the fuel filter. I lifted the top access - I can't describe how much ground corn came out.

Here we go again. Mice in small access. Wood rats on wire harnesses and on and on. Friggin things!

No, don't even go into remediation. Poisoned mice/rats mean dead dogs. TG the house is clear.

So, once again, data access would be wonderful even if no better than the std data connector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well.... I pressed order on a Honda Dr.H for more money than I would like... When it comes I'll let you all know if it works, what it does. And from there i'll do some logic captures on the DLC port and we can figure out how to make our own.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Well.... I pressed order on a Honda Dr.H for more money than I would like... When it comes I'll let you all know if it works, what it does. And from there i'll do some logic captures on the DLC port and we can figure out how to make our own.
I’m particularly excited to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ordered it on Ebay. Its the newest model currently listed on Ebay. I'm sure you can find it.
I tried searching it but only found stuff for outboard motors. I thought the package with a CD and cable for connection to USB was interesting.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i sent in a price request for them.
not sure how long it will take to hear back from them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
One thing to consider when buying one of these. The software required is behind a dealer only login. So you have to make sure the seller is going to provide you the software. I'm also under the impression there are different packages you have to download to add support for different models of outboard motors, snow blowers, genes, etc. So not only do you need the main software, but also the appropriate data package for your gene. I reached out to the seller I purchased from to make sure they could provide the data package for the EU7000 before buying it.
That's just speculation from what I've read. I'll let you know what I find when I get it.

Also. As has been mentioned in this thread. There's no evidence of anyone online reporting successful use of one these things on a Generator. So its a risk!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
yea... i also work with marine so it would be primary for the boat gear...
but like you stated if it also works with the gen that would be cool.

with the right to repair movement getting good traction here in the states...
more test gear might be in our future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I received the Dr.H. It works!
It seems all it can do is read DTCs and a number of sensors. But that's exactly what I was looking for.
When I find time I'll start capturing the DLC port logic so we can figure out how it works.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Cable Composite material

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Slope

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Software

Rectangle Product Azure Font Screenshot

Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Some teaser screenshots of the Logic Capture
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Parallel

This was taken with the Dr.H Streaming all the sensor data.
Seems the RX/TX lines on the DLC connector are infact standard UART serial at 9600 baud. 5v logic levels. Idle state is low.

One of the comunication messages while streaming the sensor data in hex.
RX (generator side) 01 43 42 30 30 30 30 30 31 04
TX (generator side) 01 43 42 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 35 30 30 30 30 37 46 30 30 33 41 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 46 32 30 30 30 30 30 30 37 33 04

I'll capture a bunch of these messages next and start to figure out what they mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Looks like its ASCII terminal code.
01 43 42 30 30 30 30 30 31 04
where
01 = Start of Header
43 42 30 30 30 30 30 31 = ascii message of "CB000001"
04 = End of Transmission.
Which gets replied with
01 = Start of Header
43 42 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 35 30 30 30 30 37 46 30 30 33 41 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 46 32 30 30 30 30 30 30 37 33 = "CB0000001500007F003A00000001F200000073"
04 = End of Transmission

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
so what data are you looking at?
spark
or fuel?
both are pwm pulse mode.
the bulk data dump is just that a total stream of the data (not worth interest) unless you just want to see the style of the coms ports.
and remember there is hand shake in the data as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think this hex string includes all the data from the ECU which is things like: battery volts, engine speed, cylinder head temp, fuel pulse width... I think there's a different message for inverter data.
But this is all speculation. I'm going to find time to capture more data on the DLC port now that I know how the physical comunication layer works. From there I should be able to figure out what these data strings mean and how to extract each available sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very cool. I wonder if you could issue commands to control the generator as it does on the American generators with Bluetooth support.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
This is very cool. I wonder if you could issue commands to control the generator as it does on the American generators with Bluetooth support.
This project was created to try and achieve parity with the US bluetooth model. If you read the first post you'll see my motivations.
As far as control features. I understand the only thing the US bluetooth model offers which you can remotely control is the remote start feature. To my knowledge you cannot remote start via the DLC port (Though I could be wrong... but I have no evidence to suggest that you can, the Dr.H does not provide that feature). You can however, build a device that utilizes the remote start connector to add that feature.

The only feature missing here which we couldn't get parity with the US Bluetooth model is the fuel level guage. The canadian model I have doesn't have an electronic level sensor in the tank atall. It would certainly be interesting to see if you could install a US model fuel pump guage and wire that up.
We can however, provide a fuel consumption estimation via the fuel injector timing.

Ultimately I plan on making a device which offers
  • Wifi control. I'm specifically interested in integration with smart home platforms in a home environment.
  • Remote start/stop via the Remote start connector
  • Data streaming via DLC with more info than what the Bluetooth model is able to provide
    • Engine Run Time
    • Engine Speed
    • Battery Voltage
    • Cylinder Head Temperature
    • Ignition Timing
    • Air Temperature
    • Barometric Pressure
    • Fuel Injection Time
    • Throttle Position
    • Total Output Power
    • Starter Count
    • O2 Sensor Voltage
    • For both the Master and Slave Inverter:
      • Status
      • Output Voltage
      • Amperage
      • Temperature
      • Eco Mode
I recently installed a transfer switch in my household panel. One practical use that's of interest to me is to be able to monitor the current on each 120v phase so I can tell how even my household load is ballanced across the two inverters in 240v mode. Example) If i'm near the limit of a single inverter (~3000w) I can plug the kettle into the 2nd kitchen outlet instead of the first to move it to the other phase. This is possible with this project as you can get the load of each inverter individually via the DLC port.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts