Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Honda EU3000is will just keep running even with the fuel switch turned off.

I just replaced the fuel tank and o-ring around the petcock filter that sticks up inside the gas tank, also a new filter that is in the sediment cup. (Bought this used with very low hours, looked new, but the owner left bad fuel in it which rotted the tank due to him never using it)

The switch was working fine before I tore it down to replace the fuel tank. It's running great minus the switch not stopping fuel from being fed.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for? I'm guessing I knocked something with the switch out of alignment or something else while removing the petcock assembly from the old tank.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My Honda EU3000is will just keep running even with the fuel switch turned off.

I just replaced the fuel tank and o-ring around the petcock filter that sticks up inside the gas tank, also a new filter that is in the sediment cup. (Bought this used with very low hours, looked new, but the owner left bad fuel in it which rotted the tank due to him never using it)

The switch was working fine before I tore it down to replace the fuel tank. It's running great minus the switch not stopping fuel from being fed.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for? I'm guessing I knocked something with the switch out of alignment or something else while removing the petcock assembly from the old tank.
so the gen will run for maybe 10-20 min on what is in the fuel system after the valve.
how long are you waiting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the gen will run for maybe 10-20 min on what is in the fuel system after the valve.
how long are you waiting?
I've probably waited 15 mins. I feel like when I tested it before, it took only a few minutes, if that, to shut off.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
you can always use a locking hemostat to pinch off the fuel hose for test of the valve.

you can disconnect the fuel line on the output of the fuel valve and see if it free flows fuel when shut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can always use a locking hemostat to pinch off the fuel hose for test of the valve.

you can disconnect the fuel line on the output of the fuel valve and see if it free flows fuel when shut off.
I'll have to try that out. Also, if I back out the screw that allows draining fuel from the carb, would fuel just keep flowing if the shut off valve wasn't working as well?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
sure it will take longer to find at that point as it is restricted on flow on the bowl drain and float needle.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That happened to me with my Champion inverter. The engine would continue to run even with the petcock turned off. I pulled the fuel line and saw that shutting off the valve had no effect on fuel flow. Champion sent me out a new petcock under warranty. Works fine now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts