Power Equipment Forum banner

Eu3000i stalling under load

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tcora 
#1 ·
I just bought an eu3000i for a deal i could not refuse still has 13 months warranty left on it. Here is where it starts. I had a 5 cubic foot deep freeze plugged in to it for the last 2 days at the cabin and it ran perfect then it began to stall the generator to the point where it shimmied and shook to the point where it shut down after freezer cut in so it was an 8 year old freezer so i thought the start cap was gone bad and i replaced it same results. So i plugged in a small 2 gallon compressor rated at 9.6 amps peak startup and the same thing happened at the gen side. Note: both have been plugged in the regular plug up to this time at separate times never together. I decided to try a volt meter in the top plug and the compressor and monitor the readings and noticed at first start up of the gen 120.2 to 124.0 volts starting different times. Then turn on the compressor and it starts every time fine voltage drop not more then 2 volts and the gen would compensate on regular mode and eco. Then i would simulate the using of the air by opening the valve to drain the tank slowly releasing the air and the compressor would cut in normally then repeat the process and voltage would drop on the meter to 87 v to 94 v then sometimes climb up before the stall and others not. I got the same results with the freezer once or twice cycling fine then stall with voltage drop beyond recovery. Eco mode the same way same results. I have checked and changed the oil cleaned the air filter changed the plug i have not cleaned the carb too much to remove given the fact it may be covered under warranty when this covid is over and i can get in to simulate what i was doing and how it was done cause they will check the voltage and say its ok and send it back to me or plug a light bulb into it lol yup it works and call me to come get it here is the bill. By the way all the same results with the 30 amp twist lock plug.(21 amp max) and there is no way the freezer or compressor has that much draw. Is it?
Is there anything else i should check/do before off to the shop it goes?

Thank you for your imput and or solution in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not too familiar with honda's in particular, but that has happened to me with another brand a couple of times and there was something in the float bowl. The first time I couldn't take it apart due to lack of time and tools, so I shut the fuel off and ran the carb dry. Then I drained the bowl with the screw drain. Restarted and all was fine. Happened again a few weeks later and I removed the bowl and there was something in it, like a piece of plastic or rubber or something. Removed that and problem solved.

#7 ·
Ok drained the bowl restarted (cause fuel does not flow unless it is running) shut down drained again all appeared normal with the fuel restarted the gen freezer kicked in and after 8 min (normal cycle)out then a 27 min delay and cut in again then 15 min it cut in again and stalled the gen i removed the load restart the gen plugged the load in again started right away and the load ran for 8 min cut out for 27 min cut in with a little hesitation but ok ran for 9 min and cut out 27 min later cut in no hesitation then 7 min later cut out 30 min later cut back in no problems i guess i will continue to monitor throughout the day fingers crossed.

#9 ·
go to the link below
click here for the poust usa site
on the bottom of the page is a link for parts fish
that will take you right in to the honda eu series of the gens.
choose your s/n range
then there are real good parts blow ups there with part numbers and prices.
make your parts lists like filters etc.
there is a coupon for % off on orders on the poustusa site.
i make it as in the drawing for air cleaner rear cover
as
LEVER ASSY., CHOKE
16610-Z28-010
click here for lever assy choke

#17 ·
EU3000i (like the thread title). Pretty much anything more than a 100W light bulb will kill it. This is new behavior - I have it set up to be connected to a 10 circuit bypass switch, and have run a good chunk of the house off it that way several times. Surges with eco mode turned off, but idles down nicely once it's turned on. Today I replaced the pilot jet, petcock and fuel tank screen, drained and replaced fuel with fresh, no impact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.