Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
yea the hz is the most important to look at
full load min 59 hz and no load 61 hz max

then from there look at the rpm.

if the hz and rpm is both high it is a gov / load speed issue.

lol if it was here it is easy for a tech to look at these things and adjust them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yea the hz is the most important to look at
full load min 59 hz and no load 61 hz max

then from there look at the rpm.

if the hz and rpm is both high it is a gov / load speed issue.

lol if it was here it is easy for a tech to look at these things and adjust them.
I just discovered that if I start the generator and look at the throttle control linkage the throttle is in the wide open or full speed position. I can control the speed by moving the linkage back and forth but if I let go of it, it will go to full throttle. As this linkage is connected to the shaft that goes down into the engine, does this mean there is something wrong internally and if so, can it be fixed? I have never torn one of these engines apart but am willing to do so if I can fix the problem, or would I be better off buying a new engine?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
sure they can be repaired.
if you were close to me we could do it together!

so what is the engine speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can't say now. Tach and htz meter arriving tomorrow but may not be here until late, so it may be Turesday before I can check them. As soon as I can I will send you a message with the values.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Paul----I got the two items needed to check the hz and the rpm's today. Unfortunately, it is raining cats and dogs and I won't be able to check anything until tomorrow sometime. I will let you know the results as soon as I make the checks. I expect the rpm's to be way high as the throttle on the carb is wide open but I can move it with my finger and the speed drops. Don't know about the hz.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
lol
we are expecting S N O W in the next 12 hours...
30 mph winds and 5-7 inches...
and maybe ice?
yea we have bee going like mad to be ready here for this!
getting closer!

yea the hz is the most important thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
lol
we are expecting S N O W in the next 12 hours...
30 mph winds and 5-7 inches...
and maybe ice?
yea we have bee going like mad to be ready here for this!
getting closer!

yea the hz is the most important thing.
Paul, I am almost ready to run the two tests, the hz and the rpm. I have read where the generator should have a full load on it when the tests are run. True or false? If true I have 8 yard blow up decorations and 6 strings of LED lights the new generator is powering. I can run a short extension cord and hook all up to the sick generator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Paul, I am almost ready to run the two tests, the hz and the rpm. I have read where the generator should have a full load on it when the tests are run. True or false? If true I have 8 yard blow up decorations and 6 strings of LED lights the new generator is powering. I can run a short extension cord and hook all up to the sick generator.
Paul, here is the readings with no load: RPM=5870. HZ=300 to 400. I could be wrong, but I think the entire problem has to do with the governor, and I think the problem is inside the crankcase. I think something broke or fell apart which allows the governor arm and springs to keep the throttle plate in the carb full open. What say ye?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
well it could be split plastic parts
drain out the oil to a clean container.
use an inspection camera in the oil fill and see if there is plastic or metal trash in the bottom of the crank case.

from there engine split the case tear down is needed to inspect the gov.

click here for a maybe replacement engine
$415.00 you could have a new honda engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Paul, I just found something on the internet about adjusting the governor on a small engine. This may be my entire problem. Here is the content: "to adjust the governor, you would loosen the screw on the bottom of the governor arm and push the governor arm so the throttle is wide open. Then you would turn the bottom "clip" (which is connected to the governor shaft) counter clockwise. This will set the governor shaft on top of the Governor spool".

Compare this information to the photos I sent The question is, how far do you turn the shaft counter clockwise before locking the governor arm on the shaft?

I will get my inspection camera either tomorrow or sunday and take a look inside the crankcase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK guys, I am just a dumb ole country boy from Alabama. I just looked inside the crankcase with my inspection camera and I see no junk, bits or pieces. So it appears the governor is still in one piece. Now, in the above post I entered a statement in quotes that I found on the internet concerning adjusting the governor on a small engine. I have attached a photo of the outside portion of the governor on the generator in question. I have also put an arrow pointing to the "clip" I assume they are talking about. In the photo the shaft of the governor is shown in the position that causes the engine to run at full throttle and the clip and shaft is rotated full right. It will only turn counter clockwise if I remove or lossen the governor arm. Can I assume that if I losseen or remove the governor arm, turn the governor shaft counter clockwise as far as it will go and then tighten the arm on the shaft, that the engine should run at normal rpm's?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Here's Taryl's video on the small engine governor - start at about 3:00...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I actually watched that very video about 2 hours ago and did what he showed. I must have gone the wrong way because when I started the generator it still runs wide open. Tomorrow I will try going the other way. If that does not work then I will pull the engine, open the case and see what is going on. If I find nothing I will look for a replacement engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good news guys, I think, I just opened the crankcase and the plastic gear on the governor is in about a million pieces. So, all I have to do no is find a replacement, order it and install when it arrives. If any of you know of a good place to get one let me know. The engine is a 7hp engine.
Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Sparky.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
GRIN!
surprised those parts did not show up on the inspection...
yea...
good find on the broke!
in the future..
make sure the engine is not dropped off a truck...
some times they get broke or cracked in original shipping!!

I had one in 2020 that the unit had dropped off a tail gate..
I could hear the crew talk on it in my head..
"you got it??? yea I got it... opps... that was my toe!!"
lol!

I saw them drop gen boxes off a fork at menards..
the plastic wrap gave way as the kid was going way too fast around a corner with the fork truck inside!!

something about circus and monkeys came to mind!
GRIN!!
for those living in a bubble..
and need a good chuckel.
"not my circus,,,, not my monkeys!"
they even have the shirts and coffee mugs on ebay and amazon for those!

I used to give those away to other contractors...
it always got a big laugh!

any way glad you found parts bad!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Paul, this generator was not damaged by a fall. I have had it for a few years and when I put it in place to power our christmas outdoor decorations I started it up and it ran find. I shut it down and a day later when I had all the decorations ready to plug in I started it up and it went full throttle and that's how this all got started plus, cost me for a new generator to power the stuff over the holidays.
Thanks a ton for your insight and help. Want to rent a inspection camera or generator?:p:p:p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here is a photo of what was left of the governor inside the crankcase. There were some smaller bits but I didn't bother picking them up. I flushed the crankcase yesterday and it should be dry today. I will be getting a can of brakecleen and gasket seal today. Tomorrow the new governor will arrive but mail comes late sometimes, so it may be sunday before I get the engine and generator back together and running. 20210108_065808.jpg

21 - 40 of 44 Posts