Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals. I have the above Generator (see Photo) and I was going to use it to power all my outside christmas lights and yard blow-up decorations. It had been running just fine prior to this. I changed the oil, put it in place, hooked up all the lights and decorations and started it. It ran just fine for about 20 minutes then the rpm went high. I shut it down. I waited about an hour and tried to start it again. You can pull on the starter rope and it will start to turn over then you hit a spot where it is very difficult to finish turning the engine over. It will not start.

Do any of you have any idea what has happened? I haven't started disassembly yet as I wanted to share what has happened with all of you and maybe get some insight as to how to go about fixing the problem.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year to everyone.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well the owners manual first
click here for the owners manual link
pretty basic chonda engine.
check first thing first.
make sure it has gas,
make sure it has oil,
remove the spark plug check it and snap a pix and leave it removed.
pull the rope and see if the engine is free.
if it is replace the plug.

the off to check spark with an inline spark tester

if you have spark then you are on to compression test.
oreilly rent a tool has those for free. (deposit required)
it should be at least 90 psi min.

form there look at fuel delivery
drop the carb fuel bowl turn on the gas shut off valve and see if gasoline is free dribble flowing.
if it is turn back off the fuel valve.
and check for trash in the bottom of the bowl.

also pull the valve cover and verify the valve action and check valve lash
let me know if you need a valve set spec
it should be in the owners manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the owners manual first
click here for the owners manual link
pretty basic chonda engine.
check first thing first.
make sure it has gas,
make sure it has oil,
remove the spark plug check it and snap a pix and leave it removed.
pull the rope and see if the engine is free.
if it is replace the plug.

the off to check spark with an inline spark tester
click here for the test tools page
lots of cool tools on that page to help with gen service.

if you have spark then you are on to compression test.
oreilly rent a tool has those for free. (deposit required)
it should be at least 90 psi min.

form there look at fuel delivery
drop the carb fuel bowl turn on the gas shut off valve and see if gasoline is free dribble flowing.
if it is turn back off the fuel valve.
and check for trash in the bottom of the bowl.

also pull the valve cover and verify the valve action and check valve lash
let me know if you need a valve set spec
it should be in the owners manual.
Iowagold---Thanks for the info and suggestions. I know the generator has gas and oil. I will run through all the other checks and get back with a updated post. As I said, when you pull the starter rope and come to the compression stroke, normally, you can pull through it without a lot of resistance. Since the high rpms the compression stroke is very hard to pull through, you have to really pull hard to get the crank to turn through it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to check the valve lash if I could find what they are supposed to be! The manual that came with the generator does not say. I don't find anything on the engine that tells me what they are supposed to be. I have searched the internet and still no information.
Maybe someone on this forum can tell me. Here is the info on the engine that I have:

7HP 207cc, 12.63 Cu. In.
The generator is a ETQ model TG32P12CA.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would love to check the valve lash if I could find what they are supposed to be! The manual that came with the generator does not say. I don't find anything on the engine that tells me what they are supposed to be. I have searched the internet and still no information.
Maybe someone on this forum can tell me. Here is the info on the engine that I have:

7HP 207cc, 12.63 Cu. In.
The generator is a ETQ model TG32P12CA.

Any help is appreciated.
The valves are under this cover Rocker Cover 73240624 look on youtube for videos

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to research a similar engine for specifications. I imagine most 7 hp 207cc engines have similar settings; valve clearance , etc. You will be in the ball park which should be good enough.

Jump

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, adjusted the valves and it is now running, HOWEVER, with the choke all the way open the engine runs at a very high RPMs. Much higher than normal idle. I took the carb off and checked it out and saw nothing wrong. It almost points to a stuck governor. Before I put the carb back on is there anything else I should check or do?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
you are saying with the choke off it is high rpm?
do you have a hz meter setting on your vom? (volt ohm meter)
look at the hz.
that is the most important thing...
also look at voltage.

if you have a tach look at the rpm.

did you get the rods and springs back in the right holes on the carb?
and is any linkage rubbing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are saying with the choke off it is high rpm?
do you have a hz meter setting on your vom? (volt ohm meter)
look at the hz.
that is the most important thing...
also look at voltage.

if you have a tach look at the rpm.

did you get the rods and springs back in the right holes on the carb?
and is any linkage rubbing?
I have pulled the carb, cleaned it and made sure everything is good with it. Today I am going to take the gas tank off and see if some part of the governor is hanging on something. That is about all that could be causing the high rpms. I think that will be the final fix. Will let you know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have pulled the carb, cleaned it and made sure everything is good with it. Today I am going to take the gas tank off and see if some part of the governor is hanging on something. That is about all that could be causing the high rpms. I think that will be the final fix. Will let you know.
OK, I put it all back together this morning and started it up. Runs as expected with the choke full on. When I turn choke off the RPM's go way high, a lot higher than the new generator of the same size I just bought. Now, here is the sequence of events:
1. I changed the oil.
2. Pulled the generator to the spot I wanted it placed to power all our outside Christmas lights and yard decorations.
3. Started it up and it ran fine. I wasn't ready to hook it up yet so I shut it down.
4. Ran all the extension cords etc. from lights and decorations and laid them down beside the generator.
5. Started the generator and for a few seconds it ran normally.
6. Then, all of a sudden, the rpms went high. I immediately shut it down. Later I tried to restart and that is when I noticed that the pull rope would come out so far and then it took a lot of extra pull to get the engine to turn over. It never would start running.
7. Set valve lash to specs and engine was much easier to turn over.
8. Removed air filter, gas tank, and carb.
9. Cleaned carb, put carb, air filter and gas tank back on.
10. Started engine with full choke. Fired right up and ran as it should with choke on. Turned choke off and RPM's immediately went high again. I shut it down and that is where is is now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is the carb on back wards?
the idle screw should be close to the engine.
I'm afraid not. It will only go on one way, otherwise the governor linkage will not connect to it. There is a governor adjustment screw located just above the carb which will adjust the second intake plate in the carb throat.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
how old is this generator?
and what is the warranty on it?
just asking.

and do you have a small engine tach?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how old is this generator?
and what is the warranty on it?
just asking.

and do you have a small engine tach?
The generator is 7 years old, but it does not have a lot of hours on it. I installed a hour meter when I got it and there is less than 100 hours on it. Warranty expired. No, I don't have a small engine tach. I'm thinking of getting one.
I checked the governor and nothing is binding anywhere. It is one of those types that are controlled internally in the engine, not by the flywheel wind. I think my best option may be to get a new engine as the generator works just fine and doesn't have that many hours on it. Like I said, I didn't change anything other than the oil before this issue started.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The generator is 7 years old, but it does not have a lot of hours on it. I installed a hour meter when I got it and there is less than 100 hours on it. Warranty expired. No, I don't have a small engine tach. I'm thinking of getting one.
I checked the governor and nothing is binding anywhere. It is one of those types that are controlled internally in the engine, not by the flywheel wind. I think my best option may be to get a new engine as the generator works just fine and doesn't have that many hours on it. Like I said, I didn't change anything other than the oil before this issue started.
I just ordered a small engine tach and a new multimeter with a hrtz reading. Both will be here monday, so by mid week I will check those items per the manual.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts