Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about 6 months since I filled up my two 5 gallon gas cans which I used to use for my generator. We haven't been driving much these past two years with us working from home and having groceries delivered, so since I converted the Honda to run on natural gas, I've been keeping the cars topped off with the ethanol free stuff which was always about a dollar more per gallon than the premium 10% ethanol fuel.

I just went to the gas station and wow, the ethanol free fuel was $8/gal. There is no other gas station that carries it within 100 miles of my house, so I reluctantly filled up both cans. Premium was around $5.79/gal, so they marked up the ethanol free stuff double what they used to.

May go back to standard fuel for the cars with those prices unless something changes over the next few months.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow, $8 a gallon for non-ethanol? That's insane. The weird thing is Brent crude is $94 a barrel, much lower than it has been. Gas wholesale is $2.84 a gallon, the lowest it's been a quite a while. I've been filling gas cans with E10 since we're getting into the meat of hurricane season. Trying to find fuel after a storm is a miserable experience and one I hope to avoid, although it's been a very quiet season so far. I put some Seafoam and Sta-bil in the cans which should help keep the fuel fresh longer. I still have some fuel, about 20 gallons, from last September in the drum. I treated it with Seafoam and Sta-bil and I suspect it's still fine to use.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
It's been about 6 months since I filled up my two 5 gallon gas cans which I used to use for my generator. We haven't been driving much these past two years with us working from home and having groceries delivered, so since I converted the Honda to run on natural gas, I've been keeping the cars topped off with the ethanol free stuff which was always about a dollar more per gallon than the premium 10% ethanol fuel.

I just went to the gas station and wow, the ethanol free fuel was $8/gal. There is no other gas station that carries it within 100 miles of my house, so I reluctantly filled up both cans. Premium was around $5.79/gal, so they marked up the ethanol free stuff double what they used to.

May go back to standard fuel for the cars with those prices unless something changes over the next few months.
wow!
we are back down on fuel cost here in Iowa right now.
at least a bit...
3.99 per gallon on e-10.
it is 4.49 per gallon on e-0 here.

but then again the state fair is on...
lol
pm for details on that!
GRIN!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Here's an idea... Strictly for long-term storage, use non-ethanol gas. But if you get use out your generator enough to go through a tank of gas within a month or two, E10 should be ok. When you no longer need the generator and prior to putting it back into storage, drain all the E10 out of it then pour in maybe half a quart of non-ethanol gas and run the engine until it dies. That should wash off any ethanol residue.

It's up to you if you want to use fuel stabilizers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used ethanol gasoline the first couple years I had my portable generator. Then I heard stories from friends who had their small engines screwed up with ethanol gas. I said… yea but I keep my equipment in a closed garage and I use fuel stabilizer. They said they did too. It’s very humid where I live. So I figured I had been lucky long enough, and switched to non-ethanol gas. I do use ethanol gas in my automobiles, since they have closed fuel systems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crazy fuel prices is right! I was in town Thursday for some essentials, regular 87 (with ethanol) was $1.79 a liter ($8.05 gallon) with Shell 91/ethanol free was $2.04 liter ($9.18 gallon), diesel was sitting at $1.95 ($8.77)
Back in late May right after a big hydro killing storm, the Shell 91 was sitting at $2.35 ($10.58). That was a tough go on the wallet as I went thru 27 gallons because of that storm.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don’t have any bad habits because I can’t afford them, especially with fuel costs so high. 😬 That storm knocked out our hydro for a day. The more recent Jul 24 tornado knocked out our hydro for 3.5 days and wreaked havoc for over 150 Kms. Missed our house by 300 metres. Thank the Good Lord. Never hurts to be prepared…

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well since changing from E5 to E10 a few months ago my generator is starting alot easier now, putting next to no strain on battery or starter... But now Ive said that it wont want to start as easy next time.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Fuel prices have been tending down in the last few weeks. It's still nowhere near where they were but I'll take the rollbacks anytime, thank you very much.

Based on my own experience, non-ethanol gasoline, though will still go bad eventually, takes a long time to start to cause damage. Up until the point it turns to the consistency and smell of paint thinner, the fuel is relatively "safe" in the system. But leaving it longer or letting it dry up, that's when varnish sets in and gum up the works.

Ethanol-based fuels starts deteriorating almost immediately, let alone leaving it for several months. Because of its susceptibility to hold moisture, it accelerates phase separation. When that happens, water starts to sink to the bottom and corrosion ensues.... in the gas tank, carb, and often the by-product is the ever infamous gel. Said gel turns to a crystal and clogs up orifices and jets. This all happens long before the gasoline itself turns into paint thinner. Learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
711 Posts
gas prices dropped again this am.
at least in my area.
WTI is now below $90/barrel. Gas wholesale is just above $2.86. The rumor is two major refineries will be going on turnaround in late September and gas prices are going to spike again. I don't know how reliable that info is, but now it s a good time to stock up a bit, especially since the meat of hurricane season is fast approaching. Well, that mostly affects me, not so much you guys. Except for Rene, who is actually not that far from me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Its about £1.90 a liter for E10 fuel here, and Im sure its not totally the wars fault, people are lining their pockets and saying its the wars fault. Same with energy bills in the uk hare, the average family home cost about £1000 a year ago for energy, now it costs over £2000 and will be going up another 50% more in sep-oct time.... Its crazy as peaple are struggling to live here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
LaSwamp said:

"Well, that mostly affects me, not so much you guys. Except for Rene, who is actually not that far from me."

We're getting ready here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast also. Latest tropics report has a tropical wave moving West from the coast of Africa. Medium chance of developing.

The waiting game begins....

Jump

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
yea another HOT day here in Iowa.
it was so humid this am it was like you were in a cloud.
hard to breath when it is like that.

super crazy right now on prices of everything...
not sure how folks will get by with winter and those who need LP for home heating fuel.
lp and gasoline prices most of the time change at the same time here....

if you do bulk gasoline here you can buy futures at 1000 gallon intervals.
a couple of my BIG clients buy that way...
50 k gallons at a time...

that worked out well till covid hit...
no travel on one client.
they scrambled to find a couple of rail cars for fuel storage.
they were glad they did. right after that fuel went super high.
1.50/ gallon on e-0 in bulk.

there is big bucks in fuel if you play the futures game...
and you can take a loss if you do not buy right and store it right...

·
Registered
33 Posts
what a rip off, pure gas when i last got it was $5.559 91 grade in new york state, thou the biggest rip off was today,when we took the bird up flying to KAVP or Wilkes-Barre/Scranton airport, had to pay $8.559 per for 100 LL av gas to get back home where it's $7.60 up from under $5.00 last year

·
Registered
711 Posts
LaSwamp said:

"Well, that mostly affects me, not so much you guys. Except for Rene, who is actually not that far from me."

We're getting ready here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast also. Latest tropics report has a tropical wave moving West from the coast of Africa. Medium chance of developing.

The waiting game begins....

Jump
I saw that. About 12 hours before it appeared, a poster on another board I'm on mentioned that it had been a quiet season so far. Immediately, a few dozen other posters pounced on him for jinxing us. Sure enough, later that afternoon, NOAA marked an area of interest off the coast of west Africa. Back in '92, Andrew, the first named storm of the year, didn't form until the second half of August. It was the biggest storm to hit the Gulf Coast since Camille in '69.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts