Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you all experienced about using your generator to run household equipment. Not talking about inverter generators-I know they produce cleaner power. Have your generators ruined any of your stuff? Portable AC, Flat Screen TV’s and Laptops or Phones? Does using a transfer switch compared to running electrical extension cords make a difference.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
571 Posts
IME using open frame generators,computers, flat screen tv's, cell phones, tablets, while also running a frig and freezer, no. I've made the point here a couple of times that the electricity coming in from your utility isn't "pure" lots of sags, dips, surges, etc. "consumer electronics" are designed for this environment. The inverter purists will now pile on. :) I'd just remind folks that we had open frame generators which did very little harm before inverter units became "reasonably priced." If you have sensitive electronics for a hobby or home business that's another story.

There should be no difference in using an ATS vs running extension cords other than your convenience.

IMHO the deciding factor in quality of the generator and ATS, Generator disconnect, or extension cords is frequency and duration of outages in your area. Also, how much discretionary cash to do you want to invest in something that may sit in your garage for months?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate your honest thoughts and you taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on the generator head (alternator). As long as the engine can turn the generator head at the proper rpms, the quality of power is totally dependent on the generator end. I have have a generator (old coleman powermate 6500) that has a excellent Honda gx engine but a cheap generator end that would not work with most UPSs (replaced the generator end with a mecca). Some of the cheap generators that neighbors have picked up, have had many issues with lights (flickering, noise from the ballasts), appliances not working, UPS not accepting the power) and electronics not working properly at times. Better generators, for example generator ends by stamford, mecca, kubota gl series, Hondas are excellent but cost much more. I have never seen a problem with them. In conclusion, the better quality generators usually deliver a good quality power. The cheaper generators are hit and miss. They may work great for power tools but may or may not be good with sensitive equipment. In addition, always try to get a generator that has a 5 or less tdh value.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
just ask any tv guy or computer guy!
or the guys who do live music!!
most modern electronics will not stand the spikes and extreme sags over 20 volts + or - on a poor designed over loaded system...

stay with good clean power or use power conditioners.
but good power conditioners will cost you as much or more than a good inverter gen setup.

but if you use the 50 % rule on your standard gen system you will be ok.
that is 50% more rated power than you need.
this is not the peak power.

most of the low cost gens out there are way over rated...
the inflate the numbers by at least 2x..

this is excluding cat and a few other real good name brands out there.

have your gen load tested with a spectrum analyzer to watch the wave form first before connecting to any pricey equipment is the best advice!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all that great info. I don’t really know much about my generator. I bought it on eBay about 15 years ago. All I know is that I turn they key and it starts right up-always. Really not used much. See pic.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
No damage here. The only thing I've seen is my UPS not being willing to run on my "contractor" generator's power. So I couldn't use the UPS to "shield" sensitive equipment, while using the generator.

Not going to lie, I do prefer my current inverter generator. And I've heard they can help more-sensitive things run properly, like modern furnaces. But I didn't have anything damaged by my previous generator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon, evening, ladies and gentlemen! Discussion question generator damage equipment !? I can tell you one thing, if you suddenly need tools, you don't have to buy them! The tools can be rented because they are much cheaper. Let us ask the question of damage to the generator, since the equipment is rented, it is soared and you do not have to buy a new one. Based on my answer, I can only advise you to go to the site - dordognehire.com, here you will find high-quality, cheap equipment! I advise everyone to visit the site.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Were still not really answering the queston here and that is "Have you had any electrical devices damage from a non-inverter generator"?.. I cannot really answer this question as I haven't used my gen much yet.. But what I can say, if yo maintain your generator well and keep it running as smooth as possible, you shouldn't have much trouble... Also DO NOT let the gen run out of fuel because the engine will coughs and splutter, causing the power to surge and sag, and this will very likely cause damage to devices that's connected to the generator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have not yet had the opportunity to backfeed my EU3000isag into my home. I am waiting for my interlock hardware and inlet adapter to arrive.
I did observe my dad using his EU2200is running an older refrigerator, a newer refrigerator, a newer upright freezer, and a programmable coffee maker running without difficulty. All but the older refrigerator have circuit boards.
Months later, they show no evidence of sustaining any damage. These items were run off and on during a 3 day power outage.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Were still not really answering the queston here and that is "Have you had any electrical devices damage from a non-inverter generator"?.. I cannot really answer this question as I haven't used my gen much yet.. But what I can say, if yo maintain your generator well and keep it running as smooth as possible, you shouldn't have much trouble... Also DO NOT let the gen run out of fuel because the engine will coughs and splutter, causing the power to surge and sag, and this will very likely cause damage to devices that's connected to the generator.
sure speed!
this is why we use the inverter units in the fleet!
dewalt battery chargers, computers. phone chargers all trashed on cheap gens.
now that we have switched to only honda eu 2000i, 2200i, 3000i, 6500i, and 7000is gens.
all of those issues are not there any more.

the inverter units just switch off if the load is too much.
on a construction gen set, it just does the sag!
so if you have a saw on a job site. it slams the avr gen set with horrible demands for start current.
and it always seems like they never find the 10 gauge power cord for the large saws!! lol!
we switched all of the saws over to twist locks for the 10 gauge saws. that stopped that!

the whole gen thing is all about planning the system, and leaving room for in rush start up.
larger wires, better plugs and sockets.

90 % of the issues go back to poor planning of power!
and way too small of gen sets for the real power needed.

so plan your power system with 50% reserve and never have to look back!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've been running electronics on generators since the mid 1980s, including mid-frame computer systems that would fry on utility power for no reason at all... I have never had any modern electronics that had any damage from generator power, just some APCs & UPSs that refuse to run on it. Most electronics designed in the past 20-30 years run internally on 3.3-20 volts (or less) and have a power supply either internally or externally to convert the AC input to the required DC voltage(s). Most of these are designed for world-wide use and are capable of functioning on inputs from 80-250V. It takes large surges above 300V to cause damage.

I have had friends lose appliances to electrical surges, usually involving lightning storms. A surge suppression system (I have used several different ones in the past) will prevent such damage. I installed a GenerLink with surge suppression in 2018 that protects against voltage surges from both the generator and the utility feeds.

GenerLink is available, in most areas, with optional Surge Protection. What are Surges?
A surge is a sudden, unpredictable, powerful increase in voltage that can damage or destroy household appliances and electronic equipment. The damage could happen all at once in cases of high voltage surges or over a period of time when lower voltage surges are experienced consistently. Surges are caused by many sources such as lightning, the switching of utility equipment on the electric grid, electrical accidents, heavy motor or heavy loads from a nearby industry and locally by microwave ovens, laser printers and copiers, air conditioner compressor motors and even lights being turned on and off.
A surge can enter your home in three zones:
Zone A - Service entrance and overhead lines
Zone B – Wired-in appliances – AC, furnace, hot water heater
Zone C - Plugged-in appliances – TV, computer, microwave
If your home experiences a high voltage surge without whole house surge protection, wired appliances/equipment within Zone B will not be protected and outlet plug-in strips provide limited protection, if any, for plugged-in appliances within Zone C.
GenerLink with surge protection can help protect your home and appliances from voltage surges.GenerLink with Surge Protection:
  • Protects household equipment including appliances and hard-wired systems not protected by power strips. Plus, it provides enhanced protection for household electronics.
  • Provides protection beyond typical point-of-use power strips and plug-ins.
  • Produces an audible alarm when the device requires service.
  • Protects against spikes up to 100,000 amps on the electric system.
  • Provides a lifetime white goods warranty of $1,000/appliance and /or $10,000/house.
  • GenerLink with surge protection is meter-based and will provide the first line of defense at your home’s service entrance and for your wired appliances from voltage surges.

Reactions: OrlyP and iowagold

·
Registered
344 Posts
sure speed!
now that we have switched to only honda eu 2000i, 2200i, 3000i, 6500i, and 7000is gens.
We know inverter gens are better, but has anyone got any hard proof that normal well maintained generators with AVR damage devices? ...........Everyone says oh inverter gens are much better, but no one can say "oh yeah this and that got fried with using a normal generator.... Plus normal genrators wouldn't be allowed to be sold if they destroyed devices because of all the bad feedback ect manufactures would receive.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
We know inverter gens are better, but has anyone got any hard proof that normal well maintained generators with AVR damage devices? ...........Everyone says oh inverter gens are much better, but no one can say "oh yeah this and that got fried with using a normal generator.... Plus normal genrators wouldn't be allowed to be sold if they destroyed devices because of all the bad feedback ect manufactures would receive.
you missed the point speed.
the over loading is the issue on avr units.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I had a poor connection on a l14-30 plug years ago. It actually fried two smoke detectors and 2 power strips. It was good lesson on just how tight wire terminals need to be. (VERY tight) The big lesson is to tighten, let it rest and retighten a couple times.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I had a poor connection on a l14-30 plug years ago. It actually fried two smoke detectors and 2 power strips. It was good lesson on just how tight wire terminals need to be. (VERY tight) The big lesson is to tighten, let it rest and retighten a couple times.
that can happen on grid power as well!
it is all about reference.. proper grounding as well as neutrals..
your power is only as good as the connections.
click here and use a torque wrench and a torque driver for screws.
most breaker entrance boxes have the torque settings listed in the box as well as most plugs sockets have a torque setting sheet in the package.

I check all of the entrance screws and bolts every year.
late fall is my time for that..
a good inspection after BIG storms as well.
just to make sure it is all ok..

part of the preventative maintenance thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honest question here. All my "sensitive" electronics run on 9v DC. (Pc, router, TV) And the AC adapters have very large input specs: like 100-250v 50-60hz. With specs like that, wouldn't a gen have to be majorly out to lunch to damage anything??

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
sure speed!

the inverter units just switch off if the load is too much.
on a construction gen set, it just does the sag!
so if you have a saw on a job site. it slams the avr gen set with horrible demands for start current.
and it always seems like they never find the 10 gauge power cord for the large saws!! lol!
we switched all of the saws over to twist locks for the 10 gauge saws. that stopped that!

the whole gen thing is all about planning the system, and leaving room for in rush start up.
larger wires, better plugs and sockets.

90 % of the issues go back to poor planning of power!
and way too small of gen sets for the real power needed.

so plan your power system with 50% reserve and never have to look back!
Honestly it I could have at the time found a larger portable generator with the reputation of the big Honda EB, I would have gone that route. As it is I use a 6/4 connector from generator to inlet box, other than stove, dryer, heat pump system, I think most wiring in house is 14 ga. If I were to build nothing would be smaller than 12, with long runs 10ga. I belive in overkill. I have n umerous extension cords, some 40 years old from wire scrounged when I was in the USAF, went down to our hospital maintance shop one day and they were throwing a couple of pieces, one about 60' long of 12/3 in trash, cleaning up for an upcoming inspection. It quickly made it to my car and I was told some other had made it to the dump the day before, so made a trip out there that afternoon and rescued it. The guys down there got me some 120v Hospital Grade ends, male and female, so I have numerous very high quality extensions, In addition to these I have a couple of shorter ones in 10/3. When I built my storage shed I was going to wire it for 120 only and when I went to the electrical supply one of the guys said go 220, I thought about wiring and honestly it's been 20 years ago, but think I ran 10/3 with a ground, gave me a couple of 220 receptacles and I went in to a "sub panel" breaker box from the main box in the house, burying the wire in heavy outdoor conduit. broke off that and made 3 circuits, one for lights one one for each end of shed, Only occasionally running an air compressor, and or drill off one of them, I insulated it well, and keep and electric radiator out there to keep it a little warm, and condensation off tools to prevent rust. No problems in the 20 years it has been up.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Honest question here. All my "sensitive" electronics run on 9v DC. (Pc, router, TV) And the AC adapters have very large input specs: like 100-250v 50-60hz. With specs like that, wouldn't a gen have to be majorly out to lunch to damage anything??
Yup. See post #12.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, maybe because the appliances need a more stable and strong source of power. there are appliances that are very sensitive and can get easily damaged by unstable power sources.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts