Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Echo 330T has developed a problem of having way to much resistance pull starting. It feels as if it has way too much compression or perhaps something is in the cylinder that shouldn't be. If I remove the sparkplug I cannot see any evidence of oil or fuel in the cylinder. All looks clean and dry and the sparkplug looks normal. If I give it a few pulls the engine rotates freely as it should with the spark plug removed. Then if I put the spark plug back in it pull starts normally and runs fine. Once it warms up and running I can shut it off and restart it with no problem. If I let it sit for a day I have to go through this whole routine again of pulling the spark plug and giving it a few pulls. I read somewhere that it could be a muffler blocked up with soot. I removed the muffler and it looks fine. The hard pull is still there with the muffler removed. Any ideas about what the problem could be? Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
You took the muffler off, but did you clean the spark arrestor ? Does this unit have a decompression button? Dutchy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Dutchy. I didn't see anything to clean on the spark arrestor. The whole muffler assembly looked surprisingly clean on this old unit. No, this saw does not have a decompression button.
Bob.

·
Registered
204 Posts
" If I let it sit for a day I have to go through this whole routine again of pulling the spark plug and giving it a few pulls."

There you go, the problem is, fuel in the crank case, it is probably below the piston and your not seeing it. But I bet if you turn it upside down while you pull it, the fuel will come out the plug hole. This happens when you store some tools in a hot shed and the expansion forces fuel past the needle or you just have a needle who's rubber tip is shot.
I bet it smokes a whole lot when you first get it started, doesnt it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply John. That makes sense and I hadn't thought of that. I haven't noticed a lot of smoke on startup though, but it does run rough for a bit when I first get it started. This is a very old but dependable saw. It's probably way past time for a carb kit or maybe a new carb. Thanks for the tip. I think you are on to something. Most appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for your reply John. That makes sense and I hadn't thought of that. I haven't noticed a lot of smoke on startup though, but it does run rough for a bit when I first get it started. This is a very old but dependable saw. It's probably way past time for a carb kit or maybe a new carb. Thanks for the tip. I think you are on to something. Most appreciated.
Your welcome, doing a carb rebuild isnt hard at all. Just go slow and take pictures along the way to remember fuel line routing and such

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I put a carb kit in it and it still does the same thing. I turned it upside down and cranked it but nothing comes out of the spark plug hole. any other ideas on what it could be. is the seat that the needle sits in replaceable. the kit did not include one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey sorry Bob for not checking in sooner. The needle should have a rubber tip. you have to make sure that the needle arm is flush with the body of the carb or it will be depressed upon reassembly and allow fuel to seep in. I would go and buy one of those cheap chinese carbs off ebay first and give that a try to see if you get any difference. Of course you need to adjust the new carb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts