Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took a chance and bought a 30 gallon fuel caddy off of eBay a couple months ago for $240. It appears to be a knockoff of a $500 roughneck brand 30 gallon unit. For half the price I figured I’ll give it a shot. My expectations were low and good thing. What a piece of junk. The pump is a cheaply cast aluminum and failed immediately. Once fuel made its way through it, the pump seized. I took it apart cleaned it up lubricated everything and watched it seize again once fuel made its way though it.

Attempts to contact the seller on eBay we’re fruitless. Not a single response. I opted to return the whole thing, the automated label for the return was an insufficient USPS label…. They do not ship 70lb packages. I contacted eBay customer service and they got the ball rolling on a refund. Essentially they contact the seller a maximum of 2 times with 4-5 business days between attempts for the seller to provide a sufficient return label. Well it never happened so I got refunded my money and was the proud owner of a 70 pound paper weight.

Ok, so now it’s time to make it work. The pump and the mounting pipe is not even pipe thread. Unlike every decent unit, it is instead ~1-1/4” OD pipe with finely cut straight thread. (knock off junk) Fortunately the ID of the pipe nicely fits 3/4 black pipe. I was able to simply weld in a 3/4 nipple and buy a Quality pump. I found a JohnDow JDI-35 for under $100. It pumps and siphons very well.

All in all, the vessel itself is OK, the hose is a spiral wire reinforced clear tube which is also OK. Handle wiggles a bit, and wheels are solid rubber but work OK.

Its now filled to the top with 30 gallons of fresh high test ethenol-free gasoline and 30oz of yamalube fuel stabilizer/conditioner.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Sky

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Wheel Tire Road surface Asphalt Rolling

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should work! I have a reproduction Mobil gas pump and purchased a 28 gallon fuel caddie as the source. I ended up ordering a reciprocating semi-rotary pump from England to mimic the action of an original Model T era pump and mounted it in the base of the repro pump..
That’s quite the setup. Do you actually use it for fueling your equipment?

If I were to do it all over again, I might have bought that exact 28 gallon gas caddy. I saw it had DOT specs, is it approved for travel?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts