Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took a chance and bought a 30 gallon fuel caddy off of eBay a couple months ago for $240. It appears to be a knockoff of a $500 roughneck brand 30 gallon unit. For half the price I figured I’ll give it a shot. My expectations were low and good thing. What a piece of junk. The pump is a cheaply cast aluminum and failed immediately. Once fuel made its way through it, the pump seized. I took it apart cleaned it up lubricated everything and watched it seize again once fuel made its way though it.

Attempts to contact the seller on eBay we’re fruitless. Not a single response. I opted to return the whole thing, the automated label for the return was an insufficient USPS label…. They do not ship 70lb packages. I contacted eBay customer service and they got the ball rolling on a refund. Essentially they contact the seller a maximum of 2 times with 4-5 business days between attempts for the seller to provide a sufficient return label. Well it never happened so I got refunded my money and was the proud owner of a 70 pound paper weight.

Ok, so now it’s time to make it work. The pump and the mounting pipe is not even pipe thread. Unlike every decent unit, it is instead ~1-1/4” OD pipe with finely cut straight thread. (knock off junk) Fortunately the ID of the pipe nicely fits 3/4 black pipe. I was able to simply weld in a 3/4 nipple and buy a Quality pump. I found a JohnDow JDI-35 for under $100. It pumps and siphons very well.

All in all, the vessel itself is OK, the hose is a spiral wire reinforced clear tube which is also OK. Handle wiggles a bit, and wheels are solid rubber but work OK.

Its now filled to the top with 30 gallons of fresh high test ethenol-free gasoline and 30oz of yamalube fuel stabilizer/conditioner.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Sky

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Wheel Tire Road surface Asphalt Rolling

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
That should work! I have a reproduction Mobil gas pump and purchased a 28 gallon fuel caddie as the source. I ended up ordering a reciprocating semi-rotary pump from England to mimic the action of an original Model T era pump and mounted it in the base of the repro pump..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should work! I have a reproduction Mobil gas pump and purchased a 28 gallon fuel caddie as the source. I ended up ordering a reciprocating semi-rotary pump from England to mimic the action of an original Model T era pump and mounted it in the base of the repro pump..
That’s quite the setup. Do you actually use it for fueling your equipment?

If I were to do it all over again, I might have bought that exact 28 gallon gas caddy. I saw it had DOT specs, is it approved for travel?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
That’s quite the setup. Do you actually use it for fueling your equipment?
I used it for filling my Model T pickup for a while back in the aughts, but the T's been in storage for almost 10 years waiting for me to retire (again) in (checks watch) 356 days. The pump is now mounted on the right-front corner of my barn pad, and this air/water dispenser is on the other corner.
Tire Gas Motor vehicle Tool Bicycle wheel

If I were to do it all over again, I might have bought that exact 28 gallon gas caddy. I saw it had DOT specs, is it approved for travel?
Yeah, that's why I picked that one... And the price was right: $285

1 - 5 of 5 Posts