Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my generator has like maybe 1 hour on it, and anytime I do get a chance when it sits for awhile I start it up, this time it sat 3months and I started it up and the engine does like a pulsating motion on eco mode, but when I turn it off it runs smooth, flick it off it will ref the engine up every second roughly, just curious if any of you have had this problem, something to do with fuel im guessing? thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hope this makes sense lol, I just know on eco mode it does a high rev, then goes eco sound then high rev then eco sound etc..

·
Registered
542 Posts
did you use ethanol fuel in the gen?
yea it is a carb issue.
it needs a total tear down on the carb and a super clean on the parts.
do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?? they work the best on the honda carbs.
the idle air jet is dirty or the passages are corked with fuzz from the ethanol.

note outdoor for the clean only!! do not do this inside any building!!
one of the best cleaners is plain old unleaded gasoline.
we use super clean p nut butter jars and put the stripped carb and parts in the jar with the unleaded gasoline.
then fill the ultrasonic clean machine with plain warm tap water..
and burp the jars every now and then during the clean..

you will not believe the trash you get out of a carb doing this method!!
and the cool thing is the unleaded gasoline as the solvent will not trash the aluminum!!

I do maybe 5-6 carbs a day using this method.
it works perfect!!

a big note if there is rust on the bottom of the fuel bowl, best to just replace the carb!
unstable metal is a real issue.. you can temp clean..
but it is not a fix.

when storing any gen after use run the gen dry of fuel including the fuel tank.
and drain the fuel bowl.

I also use stabile in all of my fuel, as well as use sea foam in the fuel the first of the season.
both help keep the carbs clean.

I have all the carb clean charts etc over on the honda gen site. as well as links for real good ultrasonic cleaners and replacement parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This issue is most likely a partial obstruction in the carb.
The small honda engine carburetor has teeny tiny orifices and jet that are easily blocked.
Shouldn't be difficult to clear - start with the main jet first, see if that fixes the problem. If you haven't done this before then watch some videos and /or find a professional.
In the future make sure to run the engine out of fuel after every use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use ethanol fuel in the gen?
yea it is a carb issue.
it needs a total tear down on the carb and a super clean on the parts.
do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?? they work the best on the honda carbs.
the idle air jet is dirty or the passages are corked with fuzz from the ethanol.

note outdoor for the clean only!! do not do this inside any building!!
one of the best cleaners is plain old unleaded gasoline.
we use super clean p nut butter jars and put the stripped carb and parts in the jar with the unleaded gasoline.
then fill the ultrasonic clean machine with plain warm tap water..
and burp the jars every now and then during the clean..

you will not believe the trash you get out of a carb doing this method!!
and the cool thing is the unleaded gasoline as the solvent will not trash the aluminum!!

I do maybe 5-6 carbs a day using this method.
it works perfect!!

a big note if there is rust on the bottom of the fuel bowl, best to just replace the carb!
unstable metal is a real issue.. you can temp clean..
but it is not a fix.

when storing any gen after use run the gen dry of fuel including the fuel tank.
and drain the fuel bowl.

I also use stabile in all of my fuel, as well as use sea foam in the fuel the first of the season.
both help keep the carbs clean.

I have all the carb clean charts etc over on the honda gen site. as well as links for real good ultrasonic cleaners and replacement parts.
I always use premium 92 octane fuel in small engines.Or try to. I will find some ultrasonic cleaner I’ve neverseen it but I’ll do some shopping. I imagine there’s YouTube videos on how to do it. I can’t believe I’m having this problem already tho it has like 1hr on theengine but I’m sure I didn’t stabilize the fuel I can’t remember!! Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
542 Posts
I always use premium 92 octane fuel in small engines.Or try to. I will find some ultrasonic cleaner I’ve neverseen it but I’ll do some shopping. I imagine there’s YouTube videos on how to do it. I can’t believe I’m having this problem already tho it has like 1hr on theengine but I’m sure I didn’t stabilize the fuel I can’t remember!! Thanks for the reply
I have a couple of good links for good machines on the poust site
ULTRASONIC PAGES
I like the mid sized machines.

try this video

·
Registered
542 Posts
normal to run the gen out of fuel is after you use one of the suction device to mostly empty the fuel tank.
there will be some fuel left in the fuel pump, and the lines etc. including the fuel bowl.
run the unit till it dies then pull to see if it will start again.
if not then open side cover and drain the fuel bowl with the little bowl drain screw.

I always blow out the fuel tank after the drain to get all of it out..
but that is in a repair shop setting...

if you did not want to run it at all... it is a lot more work but you can drain every thing and just blow it out.
a lot more gas fumes to deal with... and just be careful not to trash the fuel pump.
it is a diaphragm pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
normal to run the gen out of fuel is after you use one of the suction device to mostly empty the fuel tank.
there will be some fuel left in the fuel pump, and the lines etc. including the fuel bowl.
if not then open side cover and drain the fuel bowl with the little bowl drain screw.

if you did not want to run it at all... it is a lot more work but you can drain every thing and just blow it out.
a lot more gas fumes to deal with... and just be careful not to trash the fuel pump.
it is a diaphragm pump.
I clea

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

it is a diaphragm pump.
I cleaned up my carb and I seen that little orifice piece 2 holes were clogged up so I just took carb cleaner and it worked after I put everything back together. And I was looking further into my generator. And I have a fuel off switch on it lol so I just positioned the switch to there and ran it out of fuel. I never did empty the bowl. I guess I could. But thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
cool
yea our fuel right now has so much junk in it..
all the additives dye color etc...
all of that stuff is left over after the fuel evaporates...
now if we could get plain gasoline....
with out all the color or stuff that like to chunk up over time...
and or if the ethanol was 100% pure as in no 9's
and all of the seals gaskets were perfect...
as well as storage tanks, hoses, all free of sealers etc...
we would have a perfect gen run..

lol!!
but in the real world our fuel is full of trash by the rime we purchase it..
so if you run extended run fuel tanks make sure you have a water separator on it as well as a good filter.
oh yea one more thing on the honda gens there is a fuel screen in the bottom of the tank!!
make sure you clean that too!!
and see my spare parts lists for the gens on the honda forum.

and if you run tri fuel with no gasoline in the system you do not have this issue..
that is why most switch primary fuel to liquid propane and natural gas for generator systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts