Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Primarily because the main room we spend our time in only has a french door and a bay window, no standard style window for the portable/window ac units to use. I'm sure I could still get creative with the bay window and the vent hose on the portable LG suggested above so it's not completely out yet.
You can cobble something to fit any opening pretty easily. Here's what I did for my sliding glass door...

Attachments

Reactions: GenKnot

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Here's a casement window fitting that also works on awning windows:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here's a casement window fitting that also works on awning windows:

I made an insert out of lexan for my casement window. It replaces the screen:
Property Window Light Interior design Tree

·
Registered
4 Posts
So far as I can tell the only difference is one is dual fuel and one is tri-fuel. The 'T' model is $700 more but it looks like a conversion kit can be had for $130 to make the XH accept natural gas. So why so much more for the stock tri-fuel model? What am I missing?

I suppose more importantly is if this is the right option to run off of natural gas and provide enough to run the whole house. Estimating my power needs has been a bit confusing but if it helps I'm after something that will run the whole house off of natural gas. We're willing to forgo using the electric range if need be but otherwise its a 1500 sq ft house w/ a 2.5 ton central AC, gas furnace, gas water heater, Fridge, Deep Freezer, TV, higher end PC, laptop and a few other smaller items. The location would be very near the room where I work from home and have regular calls so noise is a concern but secondary to making sure it meets our other needs.

Im just starting my research so if it's not quite so straight forward any suggestions or even links to helpful articles is appreciated. So many out there that are overly general it doesnt seem to be of much help.
Evan where did you see info about conversion kit for HX units to natural gas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just wanted to share my frustration as I continue down this journey and the joys of being a home owner lol. I have a detached garage that's very near the house with a sub panel that ties into the main in the house. I was considering putting the generator tie in out there rather than directly to the main. The primary reason for this is the other spot would put the generator right outside our bedroom window... While investigating I find the garage has a 60amp main which is all fine, follow that back to the panel in the house (of course its not labeled so we had to turn off breakers to find it) and it's tied into a 20 amp breaker!... WHY? ok ok, easy enough fix, just swap the breaker out. Chat with a family member who's an electrician and he suggested double checking what wire was used. It's a 10/3.. so 30 amp at best. Why the 60 in the garage?

His next suggestion is if I really want it out there just run a new 6 gauge wire since it's only about 50 ft just pull a new wire replacing the 10/3. Sounds easy enough right?... The wire used is a direct bury so no conduit to pull through meaning I would have to dig it up. I havent gone far enough yet but just to check it looks like this wire is only about 6" down when it should be 24" I believe. How did this ever pass inspection?

I guess in the end the garage isnt totally out if I swap the breaker for a 30 amp and stick to that for the gen. I need to put in that breaker either way... But since I havent decided on a generator yet or exactly what I want to power I dont want to rule out a 50. More decisions to come.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Anything wrong with leaving the old 10/3 as-is (to provide power to the garage, after replacing the 60A breaker), then running a new 6/3 dedicated line from the generator to the main panel? That will allow you to install an interlock on the main panel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes change out the both breakers in the garage and the house. I don't know what you are powering in the garage but having the 20 amp in the house only provided more protection anyway for it to trip. You also have to factor in voltage drop for the distance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anything wrong with leaving the old 10/3 as-is (to provide power to the garage, after replacing the 60A breaker), then running a new 6/3 dedicated line from the generator to the main panel? That will allow you to install an interlock on the main panel.
This is the solution if you are intending to dig.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts