Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Worth checking to see if the propane female and the NG female are alike.

But, where is the NG going that the OP is hearing? I think that is at the top of the list right now.
When he pressed on the valve flap using his finger on the female QC, the hiss of the gas was unmistakable. No doubt that there's gas pressure in the hose.

Now, when the male QC (generator) is inserted into the female QC (hose), there's a bar protruding on the male QC that should push into the valve flap to allow gas through. However unlikely, the male protrusion may not be reaching the valve.

Just putting this out there, especially if he's not smelling any unburned NG coming out of the exhaust.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you are hearing NG flow at the meter, it has to be going somewhere. Do you smell NG at the carb?
I think I smelled gas near the carb but it’s tough to tell. I had soaped down all the externally visible connections to make sure there were no leaks, but your thought is that there’s something happening in the carburetor itself?

· Registered
1,412 Posts
but your thought is that there’s something happening in the carburetor itself?
I doubt that the problem is in the carb. The propane and NG paths are different (thus the switch between the two). But it appears that something in the NG plumbing is leaking because you are hearing gas flow. So, the NG is either leaking to atmosphere, or leaking into the carb which would cause flooding. The gen will not start if the NG is too rich or too lean. It could be leaking at the fuel selector switch. Wherever it is, you should be able to smell the source, or find it with soap bubbles.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
When he pressed on the valve flap using his finger on the female QC, the hiss of the gas was unmistakable. No doubt that there's gas pressure in the hose.

Now, when the male QC (generator) is inserted into the female QC (hose), there's a bar protruding on the male QC that should push into the valve flap to allow gas through. However unlikely, the male protrusion may not be reaching the valve.

Just putting this out there, especially if he's not smelling any unburned NG coming out of the exhaust.
I pulled the 90° elbow off the generator and connected to the quick connect and I could hear and feel your full flow of gas through the elbow, so the bar is protruding far enough to open the poppet inside the female, quick connect

· Registered
520 Posts
I have watched this post with intent.
Just about every problem has been covered, but....
Let me explain......
After buying the Honda ES6500 from my friend's wife I installed a dual fuel conversion kit.
Propane was the first try.
I mounted the supplied regulator on the Honda as per the instructions.
Then connected the propane with a propane regulator in line.
Two regulators installed.
Everything worked great.
Later I decided to connect it to NG as I had a Generac already connected with the proper regulator.
Not being an experienced gas person.......
I installed a quick connect directly to the NG supply that was 2 PSI bypassing the Generac supply regulator.
I connected the genny to the line and then NOTHING! It would not start.
After questioning the guys at the local propane dealer, I found that I had ruptured the chassis mounted regulator.
I was told to connect to the line AFTER the NG pressure regulator.
I ordered a new regulator and mounted it.
Well, I guess you know how I felt when the Honda fired right up and ran after setting the flow.
Maybe, just maybe this is one of those times when things just did not go as expected.
After my experience I would bet that the post problem is that the regulator is toast.
Been there, done that.

· Registered
520 Posts
@ GenKnot.
The feed from the NG supply regulator is 2 PSI and is regulated at the furnace, kitchen stove top, and the Generac to supply the required inches of water.
You are correct about killing the regulator, as it killed mine.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
For reference in case someone is wanting to know, here is conversion between psi(a) and inches of water column.

.1 psi = 2.8" w.c.
.2 psi = 5.5" w.c.
.3 psi = 8.3" w.c.
.4 psi = 11.0" w.c.
.5 psi = 13.8" w.c.
.6 psi = 16.6" w.c.
.7 psi = 19.4" w.c.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't know where I read it from but it seems that not all quick-connect fittings are inter-compatible. I know that the hoses came with the generator but it's still worth looking into.

For instance, the male end of the fitting may not be reaching out far enough to push open the valve on the female end.
All the fittings and hose shipped together with the generator, and I did confirm that the male connector is opening the poppet on the female connector.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have watched this post with intent.
Just about every problem has been covered, but....
Let me explain......
After buying the Honda ES6500 from my friend's wife I installed a dual fuel conversion kit.
Propane was the first try.
I mounted the supplied regulator on the Honda as per the instructions.
Then connected the propane with a propane regulator in line.
Two regulators installed.
Everything worked great.
Later I decided to connect it to NG as I had a Generac already connected with the proper regulator.
Not being an experienced gas person.......
I installed a quick connect directly to the NG supply that was 2 PSI bypassing the Generac supply regulator.
I connected the genny to the line and then NOTHING! It would not start.
After questioning the guys at the local propane dealer, I found that I had ruptured the chassis mounted regulator.
I was told to connect to the line AFTER the NG pressure regulator.
I ordered a new regulator and mounted it.
Well, I guess you know how I felt when the Honda fired right up and ran after setting the flow.
Maybe, just maybe this is one of those times when things just did not go as expected.
After my experience I would bet that the post problem is that the regulator is toast.
Been there, done that.
Really interesting. And of course the propane has its own regulator on the supply hose before it even gets to the generator. I’ll talk with Duromax and see if they want to pursue that as a fix.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Really interesting. And of course the propane has its own regulator on the supply hose before it even gets to the generator. I’ll talk with Duromax and see if they want to pursue that as a fix.
In post #6 you said "The gas line is running .3-.4psi"

Is it possible that you are connected to a higher pressure that goes to your pool, and that you have a separate stepdown regulator for the house?

You could always cobble together a manometer. Just search Google for "DIY manometer".

· Registered
1,412 Posts
If that regulator off of the NG is ruptured, then the NG pressure might have wiped his dual fuel regulator.
It looks old.
I think the OP needs one of these where he is tapping off the meter line with the gen hose. If he puts a regulator there, it won't mess with the house pressure when running the gen.

MAXITROL 325-5L-66-0025

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In post #6 you said "The gas line is running .3-.4psi"

Is it possible that you are connected to a higher pressure that goes to your pool, and that you have a separate stepdown regulator for the house?

You could always cobble together a manometer. Just search Google for "DIY manometer".
It’s what I measured at the 3/4” threaded rod that has the quick connect installed on it. I have another gauge coming tomorrow as I’m wondering if the gauge is bad. I’ll post photos/videos after I’ve done the test.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I think the OP needs one of these where he is tapping off the meter line with the gen hose. If he puts a regulator there, it won't mess with the house pressure when running the gen.

MAXITROL 325-5L-66-0025

Funny I apparently had the same thought and looked up this one while at the gym…the 4”-10” WC output is in the specified range of 6”-9”WC. I just need to confirm that I’m lined up with the 1/2 psi Inlet pressure.

MENSI Natural Gas Pressure Regulator with 3/4" FNPT Thread, 1/2 PSIG Inlet Pressure and 4"-10" WC Outlet For Grill, Stove Range Pipe Lines https://a.co/d/eKF27zl

21 - 40 of 57 Posts