Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new XP13000HXT generator from Duromax. It is easily able to start up on gasoline or propane, but will not start using natural gas. I’ve already checked the gas line pressure and the ability to support the 225,000 BTUs for this generator, and I’m using the correctly sized gas line supplied by Duromax, along with the Duromax fittings. Some pretty exhaustive Google searches have turned up nothing… Apparently nobody has this problem? Here’s one for the problem solvers! I will try contacting Duromax during their normal business hours.

Here’s a video giving all the details so you can see the setup, etc.

Video

· Registered
1,413 Posts
Okay, I didn't look up the gen because I'm watching football. Anyway, that usually works when they'll start on propane but struggle on natural gas. Maybe your natural gas line needs to be purged a little more.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The game's over now and I watched your video. After watching it, I'm wondering if you have low natural gas pressure. Hmm..
Thanks for taking a look. The gas line is running .3-.4psi and there is adequate CFM to run two furnaces, a 400K BTU pool heater, a fireplace, an oven and a cooktop simultaneously. The generator needs 6-9 in water and 225K BTU so I would be very surprised if gas supply is the problem.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for reference, gasoline likes .030", propane likes .024", and NG likes .022"
One other thing. I can hear gas flowing through the meter when the generator is just sitting there, and the sound stops when I disconnect the gas hose. That seems like a problem. I checked every connection on the line and the generator with soapy water and found no leaks.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
These gens usually come with a Torch spark plug which is not the best.
I would recommend a NGK BPR6EIX plug or, if your primary fuel is NG, then go one step colder with BPR7EIX.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
One other thing. I can hear gas flowing through the meter when the generator is just sitting there, and the sound stops when I disconnect the gas hose. That seems like a problem. I checked every connection on the line and the generator with soapy water and found no leaks.
Then the gen may be flooding!

· Registered
565 Posts
Could be a leaky regulator or a bad diaphragm.

· Registered
10 Posts
Just curious how long is the supplied 3/4" hose

It appears this seems to be issue with this generator, I jut found this video on Youtube. It appears this person was having the same issue, but this guys generator started a few days prior on natural gas, but then it wouldn't start after that. Might want to hit him up on Youtube and see if he figured it out.

Here is the link:
Duromax XP13000HXT real world test

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I don't know where I read it from but it seems that not all quick-connect fittings are inter-compatible. I know that the hoses came with the generator but it's still worth looking into.

For instance, the male end of the fitting may not be reaching out far enough to push open the valve on the female end.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts