Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Champion Model# 100296 this month. It's 12 Volt lead acid battery will need to be charged/maintained throughout months in storage. Can't get an answer from Champion or the place I bought it to this question. 'Can the battery/maintainer be attached to the battery while it's attached to the generator when not in use, and does the battery's 'on/off' flip switch on the generator need to be in the 'on' position?' Last thing I need to do is fry any electrical circuits in the thing. If you're wondering, I called the 'Customer Care Team' at Champion and was put on hold over an hour 4 times this week and am a bit fed up with their service right now. Also the 'reputable' place I bought it and paid for an additional 2 yr. warranty on the thing flatly told me they had no idea what the answer was. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Use a low amp battery maintainer and it can remain in place indefinitely. No need to disconnect anything. It can remain in place while the generator is in operation as well. I did this with my champion 41532 for years. It lives in an ventilated enclosure with the battery switch on at all times for years. (To keep the remote start active). Still on the original battery.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
yup
click here for the battery charger page
we like the solar brand on that page.
it also works well for cars and trucks
and it is weather resistant!
on cars and trucks make a short extension cord and have it on the front of the car or truck
and yes make a y cord so you can use one cord out the front for one drop cord!!

tis the season to start plugging in diesels!!
and battery chargers rock on cars!
they make the battery life longer!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a standard lawn mower battery, recently die. When I took it back to NAPA they asked what I had been doing as it was a little over 5 years old. I told them I kept a maintainer on it constantly, I have it permanently mounted and connected. I also have an old John Deer mower, the original battery on it lasted from 1999 until 2015

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
yea the battery chargers rock for sure!
i have a 10 year old battery in the toyota rav4
it still starts!

most of the modern cars have sooooo much stuff running on the 12 volt now..
and the parasitic drain is large!
some are at close to an amp just sitting there now..
super hard on batteries in cold climates

so if you use a battery warmer and a charger.
you can count on the battery working right!
you can freeze a battery during start at -20 below zero or colder.
when a battery is discharged the acid goes back in the plates and all you are left with is water!
just a cool bit of science!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use a low amp battery maintainer and it can remain in place indefinitely. No need to disconnect anything. It can remain in place while the generator is in operation as well. I did this with my champion 41532 for years. It lives in an ventilated enclosure with the battery switch on at all times for years. (To keep the remote start active). Still on the original battery.
So you do flip the battery switch to 'on'. Thanks drmerdp. I bought a Motobatt Fat Boy 2.0 amp 12 Volt charger/maintainer good for both lead acid & lithium batteries. I contacted them because the Champion manual said don't exceed a 1.5 amp charge on the battery. They told me the microprocessor in it would sense that and supply only what the battery could handle. So I guess all's ok unless you have any thoughts regarding what they told me. Again thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts