Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just made a account to ask this question. About half a year ago I was at a junk yard looking for parts for my truck. I found a white 1963 Dodge D100 pickup that was parked and crushed by a tree, so I started taking parts from it. In the bed of the truck sat a few big steal boxes locked shut, I busted them open I found some Vietnam surplus chemicals (oil, grease, and whatnot) and a whole lot of 60's and 70's cans of oil, wax, etc... and sitting at the bottom was a little gold generator. I pulled it out and realized it was a gas powered battery charger, pretty odd, but I guess it would be quite handy if you didn't have no electricity! :) Anyways, I brought it home and after a carb kit and points clean it ran and generated power only problem is that it burned a alarming amount of oil. It sat for a while and I just got around to messing with it a few days ago, currently its in pieces as I'm in the process of restoring it. When I first got it I called up Generac to see if they had any info on it but to no surprise they had no record of it existing, though they were fascinated with it and told me to let them know when I finish restoring it. ;) When i started tearing it down I noticed that the engine (Tecumseh H25) was originally painted yellow while all the custom brackets had one layer of gold. The whole thing is assembled well but the paint looks like it was just thrown on there with over spray on everything which made me originally think somebody along it's life rattle caned it, but all the labels were placed onto the gold paint, not taped off. The alternator appears to be a Mopar alternator with a custom housing piece made to fit a tecumseh and the alternator rotor hollow and tapered to fit on the output shaft. Upon opening the engine up it was very badly sludged, but appeared the engine had pretty low hours on it, as you would expect with a battery charger. The cylinder still had the factory hone pattern on it yet when I checked the rings they were out of spec. Anyways, I'll post the specs below along with some photos, if you got any questions please feel free to ask!馃槉

Info:

Engine: 2.5hp H25-25197H Tecumseh date coded 1972. Serial Number 2027B

Generator: Model 5980 Generac Serial number 329453
DC volts 12
50 Amps
3600 RPM

Gas Auto part Machine Nut Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Cameras & optics Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Nut Auto part
Fluid Motor vehicle Yellow Gas Font
Font Rectangle Tints and shades Wood Auto part

Registered
try over at smoke stack forum.
they do a lot of old stuff over there.

cool item!
if it had a honda motor it would be a keeper!

Premium Member
Wow, never saw anything like it. Neat little machine.. Techumseh parts are tough to come by. Did you find rings for it?

Good luck with the restoration.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, never saw anything like it. Neat little machine.. Techumseh parts are tough to come by. Did you find rings for it?

Yeah I picked up a original set of rings and gasket kit but the real problem is the valve guides are cooked

Registered
you might be able to check in with a good race car engine machine shop.
they should be able to make a set of HD valve guides.
and get you up graded to the late model HD valve seals.
they can bore out the old guides and insert the new ones.
they have jigs for the head work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you might be able to check in with a good race car engine machine shop.
they should be able to make a set of HD valve guides.
and get you up graded to the late model HD valve seals.
they can bore out the old guides and insert the new ones.
they have jigs for the head work.
I pressed out the old ones (exaust guide was actually cracked) and ordered a Briggs 555214 valve guide, it has the same ID as the Tecumseh and the OD is .004 smaller and just a hair shorter, but I think I can make it work (y) The Briggs ones are sintered bronze too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

yeah I found a guy on eBay who sold me a complete gasket and ring set NOS in the original packaging for $15 to my door (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts