Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Onan cummins p4500i generator. The oil drain plug is very difficult to get access to. Has anyone done some sort of a mod to help with this. I have noticed on other generators that are similar in size have a rubber hose with some sort of twist cap on the end that extends outside of the access panel so it's easy to drain. I think I'm going to try to order that part from another manufacturer and see if I can't get it to work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow... just saw a video on how to change oil on that unit. Pretty tight. They could've at least lined up the opening with the drain bolt so you can use a socket wrench with an extension.

Anyway, an alternative probably is to remove the whole side panel to give you room to work. You can then fit a shallow funnel between the drain bolt and the bottom case hole so the oil goes straight to your drain pan and not create a mess.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
i use dranzits on the drain plugs for remote oil drain hose.
if you have 2 oil drains on the block run the hose on one side and use a magnetic drain plug of the other side.

some of the honda gx engines have 2 drain plugs and 2 fill ports for easy access when on different applications.
pm if you need links for parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... just saw a video on how to change oil on that unit. Pretty tight. They could've at least lined up the opening with the drain bolt so you can use a socket wrench with an extension.

Anyway, an alternative probably is to remove the whole side panel to give you room to work. You can then fit a shallow funnel between the drain bolt and the bottom case hole so the oil goes straight to your drain pan and not create a mess.
Removing the side panle requires disconnecting the front display panel. Which I do not want to mess with since it might void the 3 year warranty.
I do agree with you they should have made the access door a little bigger to be able to get a socket and ratchet in there. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the side panel that lines up with the drain plug so I can get a socket with an extension in there. Then just buy some sort of rubber grommet plug to keep the elements out. Thank you for your suggestion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use dranzits on the drain plugs for remote oil drain hose.
if you have 2 oil drains on the block run the hose on one side and use a magnetic drain plug of the other side.

some of the honda gx engines have 2 drain plugs and 2 fill ports for easy access when on different applications.
pm if you need links for parts
I am trying to visualize how that will work. So, yes please. Will you send me the links. Thank you for response. I look forward to hearing back from you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts