Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I have a Cummins C20N6H House Generator (natural gas) that now and then when exercising will throw a High AC Frequency error and shut down. If I reset the codes and restart it works fine (sometimes I have to do this twice).

One time I went out to listen to it... it seemed to start slow for about 5-10 seconds (like low RPM) then it kicked into high/normal gear for the exercise and at that point the High AC Frequency error was thrown.

I have changed the oil every year (for 3 years) and this fall @ 25 hours I adjusted the valves. The issue was happening before this.

I wonder if the NG line to the generator gets air in it and it runs super lean when starting sometimes, and that's why restarting it when the air is cleared and it's getting good fuel things work fine. We have quite a few things connected to NG at our place (furnace, stove/oven, outdoor grill, etc).

I do exercise it every 2 weeks. Every other time is a full start/run for 15 minutes vs just what Cummins calls a crank over where it turns the motor over without starting which it does the other half of the time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi, all.

I have a Cummins C20N6H House Generator (natural gas) that now and then when exercising will throw a High AC Frequency error and shut down. If I reset the codes and restart it works fine (sometimes I have to do this twice).

One time I went out to listen to it... it seemed to start slow for about 5-10 seconds (like low RPM) then it kicked into high/normal gear for the exercise and at that point the High AC Frequency error was thrown.

I have changed the oil every year (for 3 years) and this fall @ 25 hours I adjusted the valves. The issue was happening before this.

I wonder if the NG line to the generator gets air in it and it runs super lean when starting sometimes, and that's why restarting it when the air is cleared and it's getting good fuel things work fine. We have quite a few things connected to NG at our place (furnace, stove/oven, outdoor grill, etc).

I do exercise it every 2 weeks. Every other time is a full start/run for 15 minutes vs just what Cummins calls a crank over where it turns the motor over without starting which it does the other half of the time.
Hi, all.

To you have a method to independently check its frequency? If the frequency is high and it does not surge, I would suspect the governor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts