Power Equipment Forum banner

Cummins 20 GSBB-6714B generator parasitic drain

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  OrlyP 
Just saying that you have a generator with a parasitic drain is lacking for basic info. How about model and serial numbers info.
It's on the title.

Don't know anything about it but I want to further his cause by asking what sort of diagnostics or tests have been done so far?

Does anyone have this model generator that has had a parasitic draw on battery. My control panel never goes to sleep. Is there a timer that controls that. I have a 0.73 constant drain on battery.
Are you certain that the control panel ever goes to sleep? As per the manual:
Rectangle Font Magenta Pattern Number

If you think about it, the generator controller should be awake because it's always sensing the status of the utility voltage and continuously running internal diagnostics and schedules (ie. exercise). The digital display on the other hand will always indicate what the overall status is. Doing so, the system will consume some power.

But maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. Instead of finding out why there's quiescent current draw (and possibly draining the battery), maybe the question should be why the battery charger (located in the ATS) isn't keeping the battery topped up? Maybe that's where the problem lies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.