Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the years I have wondered: What if I had a water line failure? It could be days before I knew of a water leak in the crawl space.

I have thought of pulling the lid to see several feet of water. it would destroy huge resources.

What is a reliable sensor to signal water building up? Fortunately it would flow to a low spot. So what is the equivalent of a smoke or other detector to signal a failure. I don't need a sump pump. All I need is warning of a problem to shut the water off.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
There are literally dozens if not hundreds of water leak detection systems out there ranging from simple battery powered alarms that beep when they detect water to complex systems that will shut off the water and email and text you in addition to beeping. Costs range accordingly from a few dollars to thousands of dollars.

For example, I have Zircon leak detectors in the catch pans of the water heaters in my house. They run on 9v batteries, which typically last about a year. If moisture or water in the pan comes into contact with it, or if it detects that the battery is failing, it will start beeping and text and email me via the house WIFI and internet connection. They only cost me about forty bucks or so each on Amazon. Works great for what I need. That's only one of several such products available in that price and function range.

Do a search for "water leak detection" or something similar.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
also look at the amazon gear.
they have lots of stuff integrated in to the ring system now.
motion alarms etc. as well as water and fire smoke and gas.

oh yea if you get a wifi system make sure to have a ups on your router etc. for your internet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You could have one of these:

Also, assuming you have a well pump, you could easily rig up a relay and a switch by the door so you can turn off the water when you're away from home.

You could hook that relay up to a home automation system and leak sensors too. With a well, you don't really need to have a motor operated valve.

Stay local with something like Hubitat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could have one of these:

Also, assuming you have a well pump, you could easily rig up a relay and a switch by the door so you can turn off the water when you're away from home.

You could hook that relay up to a home automation system and leak sensors too. With a well, you don't really need to have a motor operated valve.

Stay local with something like Hubitat.
Now that is a great idea. We really don't leave the place unattended. Just a piercing alarm would suffice for us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
we just use a ball valve on the water when we are gone for more than a day...
just shut off the pressure.
winter is its own thing...
working on the recirculate system for winter.
that will stop the issue of pipes getting too cold.
watts brand makes a dandy off the shelf system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yea if you get a wifi system make sure to have a ups on your router etc. for your internet.
We are our own UPS being off grid. The problem we have is the deployment of yet more internet devices with satellite servicing our bandwidth. And there is no cellular to back it up. Its all fine if local but if the IP has to go out and back it is problematic.

One day very soon I hope this will be different.

I like the $13 sensor. We do have a ball valve in the well control pit. But as I mentioned, if a tubing failure in the crawl space it could be days before we knew. I can hear the DW asking"why are the windows fogging up?" :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: iowagold
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.