Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 2-cycle chain saw. I know it's not a high quality tool, but it's adequate for my limited needs.

The fuel tank opening has an internal thread, and the cap has an external thread, so it screws into the tank. This is the opposite of what seems to be the normal design.

Anyway, it seems as though the cap is swelling up, which causes it to get very tight. It got so bad that one time I had great difficulty just getting the thread to engage so I could install the cap, and I had to use pliers to tighten it. I replaced the cap and that fixed it for awhile, but now the new one is starting to do the same thing.

In my area, it's virtually impossible to find gasoline that doesn't have 10% ethanol added. Could the ethanol be reacting with the plastic and causing it to swell? I'm wondering if I could avoid this by draining the tank entirely after each use and leaving the cap off so that the residual fuel will evaporate. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a good solution? Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you using a stabilizer as Stabil or etc in your ethanol fuel? Usually the ethanol is hard on the fuel lines and the life of the fuel is short w/o treating it.

Please post a good close picture of the tank and cap/plug close but open (as laying on the opening with good views of both). OR! Provide a good link that will show good views of parts.

Getting ahead, can you fit another plug cap with a lip and O-Ring that will use less torque to seal? Keep the vent in mind. There might be an adapter that will let you convert back to an ext cap. Stay Safe With Thoughts!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good Pic! Your removal idea should work or help.

Other ideas since seeing the cap and you have the old cap to experiment with:
  • Sand the ext cap threads to slightly reduce the dia.
  • Make a vertical cut below the O-Ring to allow the thread to compress.
Good Luck Experimenting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts