Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people... new to forum and ive joined because i dont seem to be able to get advice anywhere local.. hoping someone can advise..

So, I have a 10kva single phase lombardini powered generator.
I use it as a backup generator for my solar system. Rarely used as solar system is quite large for a residential property... but when I do need it, it doesn't seem to give out enough power. So I'm burning diesel and not getting max efficiency
I have lithium batteries in my system which can take max charge current right up to 100% charge.. but I've also tried it with heavy loads running, so in my mind the genset should be able to supply the full 32A 8kw of power..

Am I right in the following...
Using power factor of 1
10kva = 8kw
8kw @ 240v = 33A..

The problem is that it only seems to produce about 2500w max.. (according to data on my solar system)

Looking at AC input current on solar system, max I get is about 20A, but this drops down to about 8A after maybe 5min

Do I have a generator issue.. or possibly a setting in solar system.. any way of testing generator..? I don't have anything that uses 4 or 5kw, so can't just plug something in and see if it rruns it.. could possibly add a few items together, saw, compressor, welder I guess.. generator only has a single socket as main feed goes to solar system..

I have a small 5kw petrol generator as a backup, that happily puts 3.5kw into solar system.. which makes me suspect generator issue rather than solar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have access to ammeter? Anything else you can plug into to see if you can output more then 2500 watts?

Assuming the solar system is at the same charge level when using both generators?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.. I do have ammeter but only 10A..

I have a victron solar system (I'm an installer for them) the data I can get is pretty much unlimited.. ac input voltage and current just being a few..

I can load it up.. compressor, chop saw, dishwasher, welder. Etc etc.. and the victron kit will tell.me.the max input current.. if that helps?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am going to throw out what may be a stupid comment...wouldn't be my first.

If you have the Lombardini LMG 9000 (which is a 3-phase/single-phase unit) there may be a catch to the output power when using it in single-phase mode. Notice the note at the bottom where it says one-third of the rated power for each phase. So, 8KW X .33 = 2,400 which is about what your solar system is telling you.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am going to throw out what may be a stupid comment...wouldn't be my first.

If you have the Lombardini LMG 9000 (which is a 3-phase/single-phase unit) there may be a catch to the output power when using it in single-phase mode. Notice the note at the bottom where it says one-third of the rated power for each phase. So, 8KW X .33 = 2,400 which is about what your solar system is telling you.
View attachment 13138
Logical. If so he is going to need a 3 phase to DC charger direct to the batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts