Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I did it again. I tried to resist but my will snapped when it went on sale again for an even lower price. I ordered a Wen 56225i. It was on sale for $385 out the door. I've wanted one of the gas jug inverters for a while but didn't see any that didn't cost a king's ransom. Apparently, this one is usually around $550, but they must be doing a clearance on it. I wanted something I could use to run the window shakers at night while sipping fuel. My GN400i is not bad on fuel, but it would probably use about 3 gallons to run 10 hours rather than the 1 gallon this one uses. After Ida, it was driven home for me just how much fuel efficiency matters when gas lines extend past a quarter mile.

Of course, it comes with a Torch plug that I intend to replace with an NGK before I run it the first time. Wen says the NGK plug is a CR5HS. I can't find that plug anywhere. There is a CR5HSA out there, but I don't know what the "A" means. There is also a "B" version but I don't know what that means, either. It looks like plugs are getting harder to find so I'm going to try to find one quickly. Anyone know what the skinny is on the different versions? They all look to be the same heat range, so that's not the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course, it comes with a Torch plug that I intend to replace with an NGK before I run it the first time. Wen says the NGK plug is a CR5HS. I can't find that plug anywhere. There is a CR5HSA out there, but I don't know what the "A" means. There is also a "B" version but I don't know what that means, either. It looks like plugs are getting harder to find so I'm going to try to find one quickly. Anyone know what the skinny is on the different versions? They all look to be the same heat range, so that's not the difference.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that chart, but it doesn't show that the CR5HS cross-references with the CR5HSA. From what I have read, they are the same plug except for the "A" designation which means "special design" in NGK code speak. I can't find the CR5HS anywhere. My guess was I can use the "A" version but I'm not sure how to confirm that. There's a Denso plug that would work, but those are getting hard to find. I think Denso plugs are good, but I don't know much about them.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Guys, I did it again. I tried to resist but my will snapped when it went on sale again for an even lower price. I ordered a Wen 56225i. It was on sale for $385 out the door. I've wanted one of the gas jug inverters for a while but didn't see any that didn't cost a king's ransom. Apparently, this one is usually around $550, but they must be doing a clearance on it. I wanted something I could use to run the window shakers at night while sipping fuel. My GN400i is not bad on fuel, but it would probably use about 3 gallons to run 10 hours rather than the 1 gallon this one uses. After Ida, it was driven home for me just how much fuel efficiency matters when gas lines extend past a quarter mile.

lol “WEN” in doubt, buy more generators. I can’t blame you, a 2kw suitcase generator is a VERY handy unit to own.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really wanted something lighter to run when I didn't need the wattage in order to conserve fuel. I'm just not sure what's up with the spark plug. I think the NGK plug Wen recommends may be discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I saw that chart, but it doesn't show that the CR5HS cross-references with the CR5HSA. From what I have read, they are the same plug except for the "A" designation which means "special design" in NGK code speak. I can't find the CR5HS anywhere. My guess was I can use the "A" version but I'm not sure how to confirm that. There's a Denso plug that would work, but those are getting hard to find. I think Denso plugs are good, but I don't know much about them.
Denso is quality stuff, if it crosses then use it. The CR5HSA is likely fine as well. These are 4-5 dollar plugs, you can easily buy both and compare to the torch to get your answer.

It’s easy to compare. The heat range is a match with either. Next, the amount of protrusion from porcelain insulator center and ground electrodes. Last would be if it has exposed threads on the top where the spark plug wire attaches or a terminal nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the champion site, those three are replacement-equivalent to champion Z9Y:
CR5HS use Z9Y
CR5HSA use Z9Y
CR5HSB use Z9Y

on the NGK site, they are interchangeable

I honestly doubt it makes a difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yup the ngk rocks for sure in the gens.
so how long till you start seeing red in your shop?
lol
love to see you get a honda eu2200i gen!
they are quiet power for sure.
and easy to mod for tri fuel.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links, Pipe. I put a CR5HSB in my cart. The Honda 2000 and 2200 use the CR5HSB plug. I don't know what the difference is, if there is one, between the various revisions. Since the Wen is Honda-ish, I have a feeling the B revision will work fine. I just don't want that Torch in there.

Iowa, not sure when I will have The Red in the workshop, at least as far as gensets go. I do have a Honda engine on my power washer and I have a Honda 4-wheeler. I also have a Honda mower. So Honda is not absent from my small engine collection. I would love to have a 2200, though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a Moeller nine gallon marine tank from Amazon yesterday. I want to drill a hole on the side near the bottom and install a petcock. I intend to use it as an auxiliary fuel tank for the Wens. My Coleman tank is plastic and there's a hole where the petcock attaches using a rubber grommet/bushing to provide the seal for the fuel barb. That appears to be how plastic tanks are tapped on generators.

It looks like there's a standard size for that kind of application, 33/64 inch. What size hole do I need to drill for the grommet? That same size, or smaller?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I ordered a Moeller nine gallon marine tank from Amazon yesterday. I want to drill a hole on the side near the bottom and install a petcock. I intend to use it as an auxiliary fuel tank for the Wens. My Coleman tank is plastic and there's a hole where the petcock attaches using a rubber grommet/bushing to provide the seal for the fuel barb. That appears to be how plastic tanks are tapped on generators.

It looks like there's a standard size for that kind of application, 33/64 inch. What size hole do I need to drill for the grommet? That same size, or smaller?
always go under size on the hole for a better fit.
i like using the gear oil sealer for that kinda stuff.
pm if you need links on that

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
always go under size on the hole for a better fit.
i like using the gear oil sealer for that kinda stuff.
pm if you need links on that
I heard a rumor that petroleum lubricants attack rubber. Is that true? I had planned to used a very small amount of lithium grease to assist in seating the grommet, but obviously not if it's going to cause issues.

As far as the size of the hole itself, I was going to measure the hole that's on the Coleman tank since it appears to be a standard diameter, but the Coleman is currently assisting with Grand Isle clean up. That bad boy is out in the field making a difference with its saw blade waveform. I would think I can determine the correct diameter of the hole by using the inside diameter of the grommet hole as a guide. I could test drill bit sizes until I get to one that's snug in the grommet where the fuel barb inserts into the grommet. That should be a very snug fit, if it's not too small. I don't want any fuel leaks, obviously. I don't know how thick the plastic is on the tank, but I would presume it would be at least as thick and robust as the plastic on the Coleman fuel tank. I've never worked with marine tanks before so I cannot speak from experience.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
we use silicone dielectric grease to help with grommets
and tight wire pull.

or you can use the gear oil rtv.
then it will seal perfect after it sets up.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I saw this tank extender for honda and may work on some other makes. Seems pricy. A good idea if they work.
I prefer to shut the gen down every 12 hours or so and let it cool so I can check oil and such.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw this tank extender for honda and may work on some other makes. Seems pricy. A good idea if they work.
I prefer to shut the gen down every 12 hours or so and let it cool so I can check oil and such.
I've seen that setup before using Honda inverters. I think what allows the cap feeding is the fact that Honda inverters use fuel pumps. I don't think it's possible with a gravity-fed fuel system. I used a six gallon external tank with my GN400i during the outage after Ida. It worked perfectly. I was able to vastly increase the run time. I really needed the inverter to run through the night since the insects were terrible at night and they'd eat me alive during the 3 am fuelings. The external tank allowed me to go from dusk until dawn. The inverter didn't have any issues running that way. It was rock-solid throughout the entire outage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've seen that setup before using Honda inverters. I think what allows the cap feeding is the fact that Honda inverters use fuel pumps. I don't think it's possible with a gravity-fed fuel system. I used a six gallon external tank with my GN400i during the outage after Ida. It worked perfectly. I was able to vastly increase the run time. I really needed the inverter to run through the night since the insects were terrible at night and they'd eat me alive during the 3 am fuelings. The external tank allowed me to go from dusk until dawn. The inverter didn't have any issues running that way. It was rock-solid throughout the entire outage.
I was wondering if there was a pump involved. Didn't seem logical that the vacuum created by a gravity fed system would be enough to draw fuel from the bottom of another tank.
I have the predator 2000 (1600 really) and I get about 12hours from a gallon using around 1200 watts and considerably less at night so it works out well for me . We don't bother with AC, I would need a bigger gen and more fuel and I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.
W e lived on and off sailboats for years so AC is something they had in restaurants on shore.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts