Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys & Girls, here's a situation and a question. I have looked everywhere on the internet and can detect only vague answers.
I am moving in to a new leased shop space. It is in an almost "retail" environment, but it's perfect for my needs. I need to run a compressor for a cabinet style sandblaster which will be used infrequently as well as a HVLP paint gun, also infrequently. I use compressed air mostly for minor uses around the shop, but one needs to serve one's largest need.
I can run a compressor all night with no neighbors to worry about. I would like to install a very large tank, say, 250 gallons in the shop. I would like to fill the tank to 120 psi with a small compressor. I would think that the controlling issue would be the ability of said compressor to reach the desired limit and not over heat. If one were to apply a cut-off thermostat to the head of the compressor and adjust it to supply power to the compressor only when it was in a "comfort range", what would be the/any problem?
I know I must do my homework on the greatest volume I would expect to use in any given day. Ideally, I could use a compressor like the GMC Syclone 6310 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free unit. Have my cake and eat it too?
Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello! Been there. Ran a 3hp, 12 gallon, oiless Craftsman for 20 years, coupled to two 80 gallon aux tanks. Air was always made. Never a compressor issue, and it took 30 minutes or so to fill the tanks. Had air for EVERYTHING!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
if you are worried about overheating the compressor the first thing you need to do is make sure that it has 100% unobstructed air flow to it so that it can cool properly second keep it clean so that there is not a build-up of dust, dirt, and general grime on the cooling fins. the only other thing i can think of is to install a thermostatically controlled vent fan near the compressor that way if it gets above what you feel is a safe temp for the compressor the fan will kick on and help pull air past the compressor to cool it more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What you need a compressor with a 100% duty cycle.
Those cheap small compressors ahve a duty cycle of 50% maybe. You need to let them cool down for 10 minutes after every 10 minutes of operation. Chere here for more info on duty cycle: Air compressor buying guide, part 3: compressor specifications

if you buy a proper, quality compressor, it will have a duty cycle of 100% and is able to run for days, weeks and months wihout stopping.

If you really want an air compressor below 100% duty cycle, you could maybe install ti after a timing realy, which will start and stop the compressor every 10 minutes during the night.

Other than that, great idea and it should work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.