Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 500 gallon propane tank for the household appliances and another 500 gallon tank for the generator. During hurricane IDA my generator propane tank went from 80% to 50% before the power came back on. I could not reach the propane company for a refill and still have not received a refill on the generator propane tank. The propane company is overloaded, naturally.
My question is: can I connect my house propane tank to feed my generator propane tank if I am running too low on the generator tank? Is this allowed by the NFPA code and the local (Louisiana) plumbing code? I know it would have to be done by a licensed plumber. My two tanks are about 65' apart.
Thanks in advance
Pat in Covington, LA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 500 gallon propane tank for the household appliances and another 500 gallon tank for the generator. During hurricane IDA my generator propane tank went from 80% to 50% before the power came back on. I could not reach the propane company for a refill and still have not received a refill on the generator propane tank. The propane company is overloaded, naturally.
My question is: can I connect my house propane tank to feed my generator propane tank if I am running too low on the generator tank? Is this allowed by the NFPA code and the local (Louisiana) plumbing code? I know it would have to be done by a licensed plumber. My two tanks are about 65' apart.
Thanks in advance
Pat in Covington, LA
Sure you can cross pipe two tanks. You would need a valve installed between the two tanks so that you could control which tank you feed the generator from.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a sequential regulator/manifold at my island cottage. You connect 2 tanks and then they are used in sequence. When the "first" tank empties and the pressure drops to near zero, the second tank automatically starts feeding. That way, we can call and have them replace/fill the first tank while the second is in use.

www.homedepot.com

Flame King 2-Stage Auto Changeover LP Propane Gas Regulator-ACR6 - The Home Depot
The Auto-Changeover LP Regulator allows you to hook up 2 Propane tanks and the regulator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can this valve handle the flow rate of my 25kw generator or is it just for RV stoves, heaters, etc.? My generator uses up to 315,000 BTU/hr.
In reading the literature and FAQ on the Home Depot site, this will only handle up to 190,000 BTU/hr. I would prefer to have a manual valve that
would feed the Generator tank from the house tank in order to keep the generator tank from going too low. I only use the house tank for hot water heaters, clothes dryer and very seldom stove top. The house tank is buried and the generator tank is above ground.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Can this valve handle the flow rate of my 25kw generator or is it just for RV stoves, heaters, etc.? My generator uses up to 315,000 BTU/hr.
In reading the literature and FAQ on the Home Depot site, this will only handle up to 190,000 BTU/hr. I would prefer to have a manual valve that
would feed the Generator tank from the house tank in order to keep the generator tank from going too low. I only use the house tank for hot water heaters, clothes dryer and very seldom stove top. The house tank is buried and the generator tank is above ground.
sorry late to the party.
lol
yea you need a large volume tank switch.
check in with the LP service guys in your area to see if they have this feature available.
try rego products 7525b series

click here for the rego pdf on the 2 tank switches 400k and 450k btu

that setup might work for your setup.
they also work for the 100 lb tanks for construction sites.

pm me if you need links

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
some of those might be tricky at best to find with parts on back order everywhere...
but at least you have the numbers now!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 500 gallon propane tank for the household appliances and another 500 gallon tank for the generator.
I was thinking on doing the same an get 500lbs tanks. What made me change my mind was the refill. A truck need to come and service the tanks. For that reason, I went with 100lbs instead. That way I can load them on my truck and run to town for service.

I do use an RV selector valve for the tanks
However, my Gen is smaller, so it does fine. Anyway propane is my 1st back up and gasoline my 2nd back up; the main fuel is NG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts